Haigh's temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devolution365

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm itching to get back into the water. Can someone give me a best guess as to when diving Haigh wet will be doable? (And what those temps might be?)

Also, if someone has the data, it'd be nice to know average temps (surface and below the termocline) for each month of the diving season as well.

Thanks in advance,

devolution365:
I'm itching to get back into the water. Can someone give me a best guess as to when diving Haigh wet will be doable? (And what those temps might be?)

June. Of 2067. Gotta love global warming. How warm does the water have to be before you're comfortable diving in it? Seriously, when will depend upon the weather, your gear and your tolerance for cold. There isn't a stock answer but there will be hordes of wetsuit divers taking the plunge by the end of May. Expect temps in the 40's, though you might get lucky.

Also, if someone has the data, it'd be nice to know average temps (surface and below the termocline) for each month of the diving season as well.

The top water goes from 32F in the winter to 75F on a warm late summer day. The thermocline moves up and down and actually inverts during the winter months, but you'll find that the bottom temps in the shallows will get as warm as 60F, beneath the platforms you'll be lucky to see 50F and at the bottom of the hole it's even frostier.

Remember that sunshine, wind, rain and diver diuresis all impact the water temps. There are big fluctuations from day to day, week to week and year to year.

Your welcome.

I was there this past Sunday and there were two people diving wet. Water temp was around 37.

You should be able to dive comfortably in a 7mil wetsuit around the middle of May. The temps will probably be around the 50's or better depending on the weather.

I know that no one can predict the weather, I'm just looking for an idea of the month to start watching their website for temperature data. As for my gear? -Rental.

Perhaps I should have asked for data on people's past dives, like:

September 24/25, 2005 the air temp was about 70*F, the water was about 65*F-75*F on the surface, and about 70*F at 20 feet.

But, 40's at the end of May? Is that at depth? -That'd be too cold for me, I'd like to see it at or approaching 50*F at depth I think. But, then again, I've always had rental gear. I'm hoping I can purchase a wetsuit, plus maybe a vest (and hood and gloves, of course) that'll keep me warmer than the rental stuff.

I do have some stuff to practice (navigation, trim, photography, etc) that can be done at or above 25', so if the surface reaches 50-55*F by late May/early June I can still do that...

If anyone else has data on temps, or any guesses for me, I'd really appreciate it.

Looking at my computer download from last year. On May 14, the water temps at 20 feet was 54 degrees. On May 30, the water temp maxed out at 63 degrees according to my computer. June 19 at the platforms the water temp was 70 degrees. Air temps ranged from 66 to 73 on those dates.

Sunday Temps were around 45 Surface & Bottom Temps were 38. Anyone going diving this weekend ??? Im up for more dry suit dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom