Hail Atlanta!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Austino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
/Futurama reference

I'm relatively new to diving, having been OW certified last year. I've got 12 dives under my belt, and am always looking for new dive spots within close proximity to camping and dive shops. So far I've dove Pelham, Vortex Spring, Morrison Springs, and some spots in Mexico. I'm preparing to go on trips to Destin (Liberty ship and Jettys) and Ginnie Springs (Nitrox and Cavern certifications) by the end of the summer.

Being new to diving, I'm trying to understand a few things:

• Cost: It seems like this is a ridiculously expensive sport, from the cost of equipment to resort/admission/certification fees. I understand why it's expensive (people gotta eat and this equipment is meant to keep you alive in situations where humans are not meant to be), but I'm trying to balance being able to afford all of the necessities and not disrespect the dive shop owner I got certified through because I'm looking for cheaper than what he's got to offer. I want to be respectful to him and to the business aspect of running a small business dive shop, but I also need to find an affordable solution. Any tips on where to find deals on new or used equipment? Any tips, other than shore diving Florida Springs or SE US Quarries, on how to dive more cost-effectively? I won't have much savings to my name after this summer's certifications and trips, but I'd like to be able to obtain what I need and still participate in the sport.
  • Certifications: I'm PADI OW certified, I'll be getting the Drysuit cert (dove four times with the DUI drysuit demo folks) because I'm in "hell, why not" mode. I've been told that it wouldn't be wise for me to get the Drysuit certification because I have a low chance of using it other than maybe during next year's DUI demo tour. I like Drysuit diving, but no way can I afford one. Am I being a big dummy by getting certified if what I'm getting certified in won't be the majority (or will be a small minority) of my diving experiences? What is the purpose of all of these additional certifications if I can dive wrecks, caverns, etc with friends or through a dive resort who don't require a certification? I ask the last part of that question because you don't seem to need any certifications other than OW to dive almost any conditions at dive resorts in Mexico.
  • Certifications (pt2): Again, it's tough for me to progress and attain different certifiable skills because MONEY, but are there certifications I should be aiming for? My primary objections for my diving "career" would be to learn to spearfish, not die, and maybe eventually train as a Rescue diver so that I can be of some assistance.
  • Open Water vs. Advanced Open Water: What, other than an increase in diving education and skill, would I need to get the Advanced Open Water certification for? Do some dive shops require it for certain dives? I currently have Drysuit, Cavern, and deep water dives on my resume, and by the end of the summer I'll have certifications in Drysuit, Cavern, and Enriched Air Nitrox. Not knowing my Dive Master, but perhaps knowing the community feeling, what do I need to do beyond this to earn the Advanced Open Water certification (through my original organization, PADI, or any others).
  • Community: What are the biggest no-no's when talking to people about diving. I feel like I'm a pretty chill person otherwise, but I don't want to come across as an arrogant or know-it-all doucher when I'm striking up a conversation about diving. Other than this messageboard, how have you all made friends within the diving community?

I'll search this messageboard for answers to my questions, but if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I understand how it may seem that I'm asking for ways to find cheap equipment when I've aggressively scheduled training and dive trips. I have friends who have been diving a long time and have accumulated spare equipment, and they are wonderful enough to let me borrow it. However, I'd like to not be a mooch. So, my hope is to have my own gear by next summer if I can find it, but so far Atlanta Craigslist and Amazon have not been fruitful.

Edit 2: I'm reading through the "AOW for Experienced Divers: An Open Letter to PADI" thread, and I've clearly got a lot to learn.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom