Hal Watt's Forty Fathom Grotto...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well today was a fun day. A group of twelve divers, 8 Master Diver candidates, 2 DMs, and 2 Instructors met at Hal Watt’s Forty Fathom Grotto to give the MD candidates a chance to feel what being “narced” is all about.

The first dive was a training dive for the 4 professionals. We were given a debriefing of the facilities by Dan, and a training dive by Hal Watts so that we became “Grotto Guides”. I even got a T-Shirt out of the deal. Diving with Hal was definitely cool. His descents are quick, but his ascents are very gentle. He was quick to make us feel at home on the surface and below. We were obviously on his turf, and he took great pains to show us all that we needed to see, and then some.
Depth: 128 ft on air (AL80), Average depth: 48 ft, Bottom Time: 31 min.

The second dive was back to the submerged boat with a planned 7 min bottom time. My job was to watch my two charges do their math problems and take a compass reading AND KEEP THEM SAFE. The younger diver failed to respond to my “OK” signals at depth, and only shook his head “yes”. Both did their math skills correctly, but neither remembered to get the compass bearing. There was some disagreement over when to ascend, and I signaled them higher after 7:20. We did 5 minute stops at 40 ft, 30 ft, and 15 ft.
SI: 1:01, Depth: 129 ft on EanX 27%, Average depth: 60 Ft, Bottom Time: 30 minutes

Third dive was back to the submerged boat and then a tour of the plane, 57 chevy, missile, tires, 12 foot dish antenna, suspended motorcycle, and the INCREDIBLE amount of fossil urchins, sand dollars and sea biscuits that line the walls of the grotto. We ran through mask clearing, and sharing air at our safety stop.
SI: 1:11, Depth 124 ft on EanX 28%, Average depth: 47 ft, Bottom time: 32 minutes

Although Hal referred to himself as the “Forty Fathom Fossil” I was completely taken back by the MILLIONS of fossilized sand dollars, sea biscuits and urchins that were displayed in the grotto walls. While some of the “wrecks” were cool, nothing can compare to the fossil record that is so evident here. The surface was covered with duckweed, which was cool and bothersome at the same time. Vis was 60 ft or so, but it was dark at depth due to the duckweed cover. It was the first dive for my FredT backplate, and it was super. What a great product!

Pete,Hal is super guy.He is very down to earth.The fossils you talked about ,did you look in the little holes and see any little fish?We did some deco on that wall(a lot)I was surprised looking in the "swiss cheese" to see little fish must have been some kind of cichlids staring back at me.Did you like the suspended motorcycle?

from the mid seveties, and I even used to work on his cars from time to time. He is a very down to earth guy, and very very focused.

Yes I did notice the fish, though I never did get to see them close enough to identify. Swiss cheese is a great description of it all.

Does Frank still work there?He left a lovely present on the bottom next to the note from Terrence Tyssall.I haven't been in a few years,but that was my funniest sight U/W ever.It rivalled Warhammer manuevre.

There was the son in Law, Dan. But ya gots to tell me what the note says. and the present as well. and where they are located too. We are headed out there again, next month, and I would like to point these things out.

Pete:
The Grotto sounds Groovy. Great report, thanks for sharing it.

:gorgeous:

There used to be a pump that they turned on to clear out most of the duckweed from the middle. It was still tough to get out of there without looking like Sigmund the Sea Monster. The pump wasn't effective out to the Bonsai line though so you had to swim through it to get over there.

Is the shark still at the bottom near the welcome sign? That was pretty funny. Not much to look at on the bottom. I was bored silly trying to spend 20 minutes down there. Shallower deco depths were much more interesting...

Great place overall though. Never been "blownout" there and Hal is a super nice guy.

Jeff

And the duckweed keeps the temp of the water down and the algae to a minimum. Although it makes it darker at depth, I have no problems with looking like Sigmund. Actually, it was worth a few laughs!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom