Halcyon BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nagonoj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a new diver looking for a new BC, I'm very interested in back bouyancy BC. I heard alot of good things about Halcyon BC. Is it a good choice? hope you guys expert on SB can help give some opinion. Thanks for reading.

nagonoj:
I'm a new diver looking for a new BC, I'm very interested in back bouyancy BC. I heard alot of good things about Halcyon BC. Is it a good choice? hope you guys expert on SB can help give some opinion. Thanks for reading.

I bought the Halcyon pioneer 27 from 5th-D and can't be happier with it. It took one dive to get the adjustments down, but now I no longer have to suffer from a constricting BCD, not to mention trim is much much better. I can't comment on other types of BP/W but I bought it primarily for comfort and couldn't be happier.

Yes, it is a good choice. There are also other good choices out there . . . some of which don'g cost nearly as much.

I agree with the Kraken....take a look at DiveRites site....and check out their TransPlate.

nagonoj:
I've dove jackets, vests and yokes (yes, that old) and have never loved anything better than my Halcyon BP/W. Easy, slip on, slip off. Perfect. Looked at Dive Rite but just liked the simplicity of the Halcyon and wasn't wrong. What's an extra 75 bucks for something you'll love forever.

RICHinNC:
I agree with the Kraken....take a look at DiveRites site....and check out their TransPlate.

Since this is the DIR forum, and the TransPlate isn't DIR, that's not a great suggestion.

Dive Rite's standard bp with standard webbing is DIR, though. Not sure about any of their wings.

The TransPlate is a very nice system, but as Jonnythan said if you're looking for a DIR system this isn't the one. Dive Rite wings are not DIR, as they come with a pull-dump inflator hose. You can order them with the standard elbow instead of the pull-dump if you know enough to ask. However, the Trek and Rec wings also have the bungee retractor, which is decidedly not DIR.

If you want to learn more about Dive Rite backplate/wing systems, it would probably be better to ask in the equipment or Hogarthian forums.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DiveRite Classic wing (without pull-dump) is quite OK for DIR. Just cut the ball out of a rear pull dump :) But it is a wing for doubles. I must admit I don't know about DR wing that is DIR for singles.

The NEW OMS wings(single 32 lbs and the NON-BUNGIED ones seem also quite OK for DIR). Their inflator hose is a little too long, IMHO.

I think that the Agir-Brokk wings are DIR , too.

P.S. I myself personally have Halcyon Explorer 40lbs for doubles and Eclipse 30lbs for a single tank. I think that the Eclipse is a more rugged wing than the Pioneer: it is a double-bag wing.

PentiumIV:
The NEW OMS wings....Their inflator hose is a little too long, IMHO.
The OMS wings don't seem all that bad... but once you replace the WAY long inflator hose and deal with having to cut off the ball from the pull dump, you might as well purchase the Halcyon wing that was designed with DIR in mind.

I think that the Eclipse is a more rugged wing than the Pioneer: it is a double-bag wing.
The eclipse is a design similar to the explorer doubles wings, but for single tanks. There is an outer protective, non-air holding cover, with a single (replaceable) bladder inside. If you hole the wing, buy a new bladder. With the pioneer the bladder and the outer cover are one piece. If you hole this wing, you buy a new wing (reusing the inflator of course).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom