Halcyon BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I punctured a Pioneer wing a few years ago. It was obviously my fault and yet Halcyon replaced it and it was back to me in less than 1 week. I have yet to experience anything they wouldn't cover at their cost even though they probably could have said no. I guess it's all in how you approach the people in tech services. I generally don't go through a shop since that just add's to the time involved.

The newer Eclipse wings should be more durable. I haven't purchased one since all my other wings are holding up very well.

hoosier:
So, Halcyon divers,

You don't experience any wing problem that can be punctured by the plate?
Does Halcyon keep no warranty policy on their wing?

I found out a thread about this issue above posted about two years ago.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t44258-how-halcyon-lost-my-biz-to-fredt.html

How do you think? Is there any improvement after then?

Best,

What configuration are you using?

I am thinking about four possible options:

1. Fred T back plate with Oxycheq #40 wings,
2. Fred T plate with Rec wing,
3. DR Transpac II with Rec wing, or
4. Halcyon Eclipse #40.

Do you think that it is worth to spend more money for Halcyon?

Thanks in advance,
P.S. To other members, please don’t mention, “Try and decide whatever I want.” I am in the state where I can’t try whatever I want. Thanks.

For their wings, yes. They make an excellent wing.

As for the BP's and harness, go with whatever you like as long as it fits the wing

hoosier:

4. Halcyon Eclipse #40.

Thanks in advance,
P.S. To other members, please don’t mention, “Try and decide whatever I want.” I am in the state where I can’t try whatever I want. Thanks.

IMO, It's worth the extra money for the Halcyon wing.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about which wing since I have one for each type of diving. I'm too lazy to change them out.
Tropical single tank - 27# Pioneer/AL backplate
Local single tank - 36# Pioneer/SS backplate
Double AL80s - 40# Explorer/AL backplate
Double 104s - 55# Explorer/AL backplate
Pool - I used to have the 18# Batwing but it finally died from the chlorine.

If you are a single tank diver and want to use the wing in the tropics as well as in the midwest and use a drysuit, you would probably select the 36# Pioneer with SS backplate. I have yet to use an Eclipse, so someone else will have to tell you about those models.

As for the other brands, I have my opinions. Some are good and some are bad. I can tell you I hate the Transpac II harness as the waist strap pushes up on the diaphragm. It's just located too high IMO. I would personally stay away from the transpac harness if you are considering doubles.

The backplate shouldn't be any problem no matter what brand you select. However, I would probably stay from the brand that is flat. I think it is called Jet, but I'm not positive. I just don't see how it can be comfortable.

Unless things have changed, you can get DR and Halcyon in Indy. The closest Oxycheq dealers I have heard of are in Louisville, KY and Columbus, OH.

hoosier:
Mr. Dan Gibson,

4. Halcyon Eclipse #40.

Thanks in advance,

Thank you for your inputs.

Yes, if things will be going WELL, I might try Halcyon over there. I was told that Halcyon is only one size. But, no LDSs have DR rental gear in my size, even they don’t carry BP at all.

Best,

Dan Gibson:
Unless things have changed, you can get DR and Halcyon in Indy. The closest Oxycheq dealers I have heard of are in Louisville, KY and Columbus, OH.

nagonoj:
I'm a new diver looking for a new BC, I'm very interested in back bouyancy BC. I heard alot of good things about Halcyon BC. Is it a good choice? hope you guys expert on SB can help give some opinion. Thanks for reading.

Aside from Halcyon are there any other wings that are DIR with out any modification?
I'm also looking at other BP too like Hammerhead.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom