Halcyon Carbon Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi at present i can dive with a 2 lb plate and a 1 lb STA from a different brand.

while going through the Halcyon website.

I realized that the Halcyon STA is 2 lbs. If I get the Carbon Plate which weighs 1.1 lb., will a carbon plate have the same bouyancy characteristic as aluminum? or will carbon plate be neutral? or more bouyant?

About .9 lbs difference between a 1.1 lbs cf plate and a 2 lbs Al plate of the same size

i mean 1 lb carbon fiber material vs 1 lb of aluminum.. they might weight the same on land. but underwater. will they differ much as one is more bouyant than the other

Here is my WAG. The volume displaced and weight are what determines bouancy (I think). I would guess that the carbon plate would displace less water and I'd expect that the volume would contribute to less buoyancy - but only a tiny amount. The one pound difference in weight would be much more significant. As I said - it's a WAG.

I'll be interested to see what the real answer is from someone who isn't guessing.

Here is my WAG. The volume displaced and weight are what determines bouancy (I think). I would guess that the carbon plate would displace less water and I'd expect that the volume would contribute to less buoyancy - but only a tiny amount. The one pound difference in weight would be much more significant. As I said - it's a WAG.

I'll be interested to see what the real answer is from someone who isn't guessing.

What's a WAG?

It is slightly LESS precise than a SWAG (scientific wild ass guess).

I'll stick with WAG. No science involved. Just me blowing smoke.

I think the consensus is clear, and I'm in agreement:
You'll need an extra 1lb of lead with the carbon plate.

One thing to warn you of: Carbon Fiber and Salt Water are VERY bad together. @tbone1004 can explain it better than I can, as he works in composite fibers professionally, including as a design engineer.....but if the epoxy/resin fails AT ALL, the salt crystals can penetrate and damage the fiber integerity. I'd be cautious. If weight is of the utmost concern and you plan on diving salt water: there are the nylon ultralight backplates (Oxycheq used to make one, among others).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom