Halcyon Focus 2.0 vs Light Monkey 32W Variable Focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fra-zzr

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at light heads and given the cost I want to make the right choice. Where I live I am unable to test either of these or even see on in the flesh. Can anyone who has used or owned wither of these give me some idea of how they compare? What are the ranges of the beam angles possible with these heads?

Anyone have helpful opinions on these two light heads?

Thanks

If you look back a few pages, you'll see one of my threads about the focus 2.0

I haven't seen the LM offering, so I have no comment on that.

_R

I have the older Focus and really like it. I'm still impressed with how much brighter it feels compared to its actual output. The newer version I've only seen one, haven't used it, and it had an awful rainbow halo that really bothered me. I'm hoping it was an anomily as I have been considering picking one up. I've seen the LM and it is a nice light too.

My standard advice is to seek local divers out and try their lights to see how you like a particular light in your local conditions. Personal preference can play a big factor in lights.

I have the LM 32W VF and played with the Focus 2 in a shop. Also seen the latter underwater on a diver. The VF function in the Focus is a lot better than the LM. In the LM, the focus diffuses the spot marginally. It is not able to diffuse it to the extent where it becomes anywhere near a flood beam (think video light). What it does is to allow you to fine tune the spot until you get a very sharp and narrow center beam. Good for low vis situations. The VF in the focus has a much wider range.

The Focus is also more versatile if you buy both the canister battery and handheld battery packs. You can use the light head for lighter dives that way. If you want a good runtime, the battery is much bigger on the LM. It draws more power. So that might be a factor if you travel with it a lot.

There is also a somewhat love/hate relationship with the foldable goodman handle. But I have never dived them so I can't verify those comments.

Thanks for the reply. I am comparing these two light heads in their e/o version as I plan to use my existing canister.

Interesting to hear the focus as a wider diffusion. Found it odd that no angles were mentioned for either lighthead.

Interesting to hear the focus as a wider diffusion. Found it odd that no angles were mentioned for either lighthead.

Sorry for the confusion. I was not referring to beam angles but how well the variable focus feature works in diffusing the center spot such that the entire torch becomes something like a video light. The Halcyon is better in this regard. On the Light Monkey, the VF feature is only able to control how distinct do you want the center spot to be - ranging from very distinct to distinct but fuzzy as it merges with the wider beam. On the other hand, the Halcyon is able to somewhat diffuse the center spot into the wider beam. The latter is not video light quality but it is good enough.

Hi! Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but has anybody made a comparison between the LM VF32 and Halcyon Focus light?

Hi! Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but has anybody made a comparison between the LM VF32 and Halcyon Focus light?

It's a good question. I couldn't find anything more useful than what has been stated in this thread. I decided on the Focus, mainly because the compact battery is more conducive to air travel than the LM canisters.

Hi Lorenzoid, thanks for responding, I'm looking to completely retire my Sartek HID 35. The focus or LM 32vf will take over as my primary and will stay at home while my UTD E-light 50 will be my travel. Basically I'm looking at the light head itself to connect with the E/O cable so it's really going to come down to quality workmanship and durability. I already have a very strong battery canister of 13AH 12 V, but when connected to the HID, it's sucks the power real fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom