Halcyon titanium knife durability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kiwi Sean

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering if anyone here knows what grade titanium Halcyon uses in their knife? And what type of tang it has?

Has anyone ever had issues with the blade snapping off at the handle?

How hard a use will the knife put up with?

Sean

I was wondering if anyone here knows what grade titanium Halcyon uses in their knife? And what type of tang it has?

Has anyone ever had issues with the blade snapping off at the handle?

How hard a use will the knife put up with?

Sean

I have one and love it, taken on 300+ dives at this point.

Not 100% certain on the details vis-a-vis what kind of Ti, tang type, etc. I've used mine to pry open and get into stuff on wrecks here in NJ and never had it break. Stays sharp no problem. Teeth on serrated end still in good shape.

Difficult to really quantify "how hard a use" it can take until you actually break one...

Halcyon-TitaniumKnife.jpg

what the hell man, are are you planning to use it as a pry bar? j/k

They last 'till they break. :D

I have one. If I had to do it over again, I would go with a DIR style steak knife. Taking the point, on the Halcyon knife, and grinding it down just a little, might be a good idea too.

I also have one of the same type knives with a lesser quality sheath then the Halcyon and it sucks to try to put the thing back into place wearing dry gloves.

thanks for the input!
I realise that the question I asked was like asking how long a piece of string is.
I was/am just trying to get an indication of how durable the knife is. I have "played" with one in the LDS and they seem quite light. I was wondering if light = not robust.

Based on your comments RJP, I will work on the basis that they aren't fragile.
cheers!
Sean

I was wondering if light = not robust.

There's a trade-off for sure. I would guess that a high-quality steel knife of similar quality would be more durable, in terms of titanium being potentially more brittle than steel in some situations. However in such situations where titanium might break, steel would probably bend, so either way you probably need a new knife. (Though I guess you could bend steel back into shape.)

having just bought one, I suppose I should just stop the ex-post analysis and get out and dive with it! thanks again for the advice.
Sean

having just bought one, I suppose I should just stop the ex-post analysis and get out and dive with it! thanks again for the advice.
Sean

You bought one? Why? I never said you should BUY one? Just said that I bought one! Biggest waste of money I ever spent...

:eyebrow:

Truth is I bought one before I asked the question.

And being only twice as much $$ as the one I just retired, it has only got to last twice as long to be worthwhile in my book. :)

still interested to know if anyone has answers to the initial questions about the tang and grade of titanium, but it is really just an academic exercise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom