Halcyon Wing stitching problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlcnuke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, my 30# eclipse wing went back to Halcyon to replace the inflator at the end of my diving season last year. I did swap regs to the deep 6 signature series since then as well. This past week I did a liveaboard and somehow the top of the wing seams started coming apart on one dive. They then pretty well just fell apart after that for the rest of the week (about 30-40% separated now). Fortunately I wasn't using a wetsuit so the only time I ever inflated was on the surface, and the bladder stayed intact anyway, but has this happened to anyone else? The only "rough" thing I could think of on the 1st stage would be the ridges from the Shearwater AI transmitter, but I can't imagine that should have ripped through the threading. Any thoughts on what might have caused this?

Doubt it's the regulator causing the issue. Just give them a call. Should be able to fix it pretty easily.

What kind of hoses are you using? The double braided ones are rough and I could see it abrading the threads of a wing. However I don't see it happening over the course of a week. How old is the wing?

Does it say "DIR Dive Systems" in red letters on the outer shell? I have one with the faulty outer shell.

How old is the wing? I just got a weight pocket back from them. Corner was starting to come apart. Replaced under warranty no questions asked. Customer service worked well for me.

After looking at everything today, it's clear the seams are just coming apart (even happening on the bottom. The wing was made in 2005 so it's pretty old.. do they sell just the outer cover does anyone know, as I bought it used and it's quite old I doubt it's covered under warranty at this point (though they did replace the inflator valve for free last year so who knows).

20190518_152549.jpg
20190518_160013.jpg

20190518_152559.jpg

Mine was the same, same age & same model.
Halcyon replaced the outer shell free of charge.

Did you recently buy the wing? Looking at the damage I can only think the thread dry rotted while in storage. I would contact Halcyon. BTW, the old metal inflators have a recall on them so Halcyon needs to replace them. Contact Halcyon on Monday and see what they say. Let us know the results.

Looking at the damage I can only think the thread dry rotted while in storage.

It's not dry rot. It's faulty (according to Halcyon). I have a 2005 one that looks perfect except for the outer shell fraying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom