• so so school

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • indifferent

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • dont go.. they suck

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walker

Reaction score
Hello all
I am new to this board so I hope this message is not out of line

I plan to attend Halls Diving Institute in Florida, before I do so, I would like to hear from people whom have had any experiences good or bad with the center
walker@surfphoto.com

... she is a great instuctor, though that may be more her than Halls'. I stepped in when I was driving past, the reception I got and the look of the place led me to beleive they where just another instructor mill. Prices of gear are pretty high there from what I saw, so bring everything you need or go down the road to Undersea's Inc at Big Pine Key not to far from there.

I think 18 thousand dollars for an ITC is a little unjustified. But, thier staff is very professional and friendly. My daughter's mother is doing her ITC there at this moment and will graduate mid May. I am doing my ITC locally for 2 thousand dollars. She had to fly 3000 miles away from our daughter and I, everyone and everything she knows in this venture. I got to stay home, with our kid, and my other family is just 30 minutes away. I understand that she's doing well and having fun with her course at Halls. I'm also having fun and doing well with my LOCAL course. She's doing hers in the warm comfy waters of the Florida keys, I'm doing mine in the cold waters of California, exactly where I will be teaching.

Halls seems to offer alot in the way of experience like other ITC's, so I don't think she's missing out there. She gets to dive some pretty exotic reefs and such, this I think makes Halls very attractive. Bob Brayman seems to have hammered together a pretty decent program and staff. However, I think one of us shelling out 18k for an ITC is enough, I'll stick with the colder waters of California and my short drive to the beach and my short drive back where HOME is. I know she'll end up being a great instructor, BUT, I too think it's more HER and not so much Halls that will be the factor in that.

Dennis

So. Cal.

18k is absolutely insane. It would take many, many years for the average Instructor to simply recooperate his training expenses. For 18k, I want a lot more than just an Instructor card.

A semester long ITC program here at the University costs about $1500.00.

Can't argue there. I neglected to mention that the 2k was total cost including my books and some other classes beyond my ITC.
Though I'm not trying to bash Hall's as my daughter's mother is there. What I will say is, I am not at all thrilled that she choose to 1. spend so much money for this, 2. go 3000 miles away to do this. All I can do is be "supportive" if at all possible.

-Dennis

I actually went to Halls and graduated in 1995. I have been teaching scuba since I left full time. 18k is expensive, but if you are going to go down and take the full 12 wk program which would run you 18k then yes it is worth it. When I was there it was a 10-week program. What are you getting that nobody else may be getting? You are going to get actual hands on experience in the dive industry for example. You will learn regulator repairs, and I'm not talking about some PADI specialty c-card where you learn how to clean a reg after you use it or replace a tank o-ring. You will actually take a reg a part and learn how the regulator works and how to service and maintain them for various brand names. You will also be on a boat learning how to give dock briefings and on site briefings. You will get resort and retail experience as well working in the shop and dealing with 'real life' customers. The photo, video, and Tech program is new since I was there, so I don't know much about those. When you get close to the end of the course before you leave you will also actually teach new students. As far as the comment about "just another instructor mill" I would have to disagree Halls graduates seem to stay in the business longer and speaking for myself the training you get at Halls is far better then many other instructor schools and it shows in the way you teach and in the students you certify. By the way I have since done crossovers with the YMCA, SDI/TDI, and PADI. Which were a breeze after going to Halls. I don't want anyone thinking I'm bashing all of the other training agencies. I still teach with PADI and NAUI. The reason I did the crossovers was only because of the shops I have worked at in the past. I hope this helps. Bottom line it is expensive but well worth it. If you do not have gear I would at least call down and ask them what they would recommend you get. I can pretty much tell you what they would say if you’re interested. Later.

Jay

Ok, so you've got a fist full of C-cards from agencies galore! Great! Now, but how does THAT actually help you? And after 1995, have you recouped your costs or are you still making the payments? My girlfriend is in the 12 week program, payments of 171.00 a month for 15 years. I'm hoping this will be worth it. Should this woman and I ever wed, I'll be inheriting this payment which does not thrill me.

Don't get me wrong here, I WANT to believe this is a square deal, for obvious reasons and justified concern.

Dennis
So. Cal.

Dennis,

I don't want you to think that I'm bragging about having other instructor cards. That was not the purpose of telling you about the crossovers. I only stated that so other people on the list would not think that I was bashing PADI. The reason I did those crossovers was to remain in the industry full time. My location makes it difficult for me to only teach NAUI classes, so inorder for me to continue making a living I had to crossover. I hope this clears that up. When I went to Halls I did not finance the course. its hard for me to tell you that she will recoup what she pays. Did I, probably not yet when you take in to account alll the additional crossovers I have done. Will she...well is she going to work in the industry full time? If the answer to that is yes then I do belive she can make her money back. Can she do this in a year or two probably not. If she is getting into the industry to make millions well I would leave Halls right now. I am sure she is doing this because she enjoys the sport and likes the life style you can lead (e.g. traveling). If her payments are 171 a month then I would try to figure out what she will make per student for example if she will make $60 per open water student the it will take her roughly 300 students to make that up (interest is not figured into this). That can be done in a few years but not right away. Of course then you need to take into account gear she will need, insurances, member dues, gas to the dive sites, etc. I currently make a good liviig after being in the industry for a while. I started out making 20k when I first left Halls in 95. The last job I had I made 40k. I have no idea what the market is like in So Cal, but from what reps tell me and other friends in the industry 40 k is on the high end, but I think the training I got at Halls made this possible. Is it a square deal? well if it wasn't I would not tell someone to go, but they do need to understand it takes a few years of just getting by to make some real money at this. Does this help or have I just rambled on please let me know. Thanks

Jay

Jay,

Yes, your answers help alot. I am not sure how far into the industry she plans on going. We're both EMT's by profession. She's not certain how far she plans on going into it. I'm going through my IT with little to no expectations with the attitude that "I'll find out when I bump into it". Her planning about this was brief, she did it on a whim. But, then again, I've seen some pretty successful whims. She has 9 weeks left of her program there. I should be finished with my ITC a month or so after her at my leizurely pace.

I just hope she gets the most out of it. Who knows, maybe we'll ditch EMS all together and open up a dive shop. I don't think she'd have to twist my arm too terribly much to do that.

Thanks,

Dennis
So. Cal.

Back
Top Bottom