Hammerhead or Meghead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rzep

Contributor
Reaction score
Loking for head to head comparison.
software, manufacturing etc.
How user friendly are both units?
How manny units are in use?
I will appreciate any input?
rgrds
tom

Tom,

I assume that by the term "Meghead" you are referring to the Bruce Partridge-built Shearwater control head.

Neither Bruce nor Leon Scamahorn (builder of the Megalodon) will publish exactly how many units are out there, but there are quite a few now.

I have never heard anything bad about the Shearwater electronics. They seem to be robust, and perform well.

The HammerHead units are not really available at the moment, due to some production difficulties at Juergensen Marine. I am sure that, as soon as Kevin (Juergensen) gets his supply problems taken care of, and catches up with his contracted Optima handset pipeline, HH's will once again be available.

I am sure you would be well-served with either choice!

Cheers!

BJD

Tom,

the Hammerhead (for the Inspiration) is a complete head replacement, a simple bolt on affair. The manual for the HH is available for download on Juergensen's website, so you can check the features and implementation for yourself.

The Meg comes either with APEKS II electronics (setpoint controller, dive timer, depth and temperature) made by ISC or Shearwater electronics (setpoint controller with integrated deco). Neither manual is available for public download (though the Shearwater for KISS manual is on Bruce Partridge's Shearwater page).

APEKS II electronics have a primary handset, secondary pO2 readout and an optional LED HUD tied into the secondary electronics set. Each electronics set has a separate sealed 1 atm battery box inside the head.

The Shearwater electronics use the same two battery boxes to supply power to the primary handset and the standard LED HUD, there is no separate secondary cell readout.

The HH has a primary pO2/dive/deco handset display that contains its battery , a secondary handset with pO2 readout that also contains its battery. The latter also powers the standard LED HUD and vibrating DIVA (alert).

caveseeker7:
Tom,

the Hammerhead (for the Inspiration) is a complete head replacement, a simple bolt on affair. The manual for the HH is available for download on Juergensen's website, so you can check the features and implementation for yourself.

The Meg comes either with APEKS II electronics (setpoint controller, dive timer, depth and temperature) made by ISC or Shearwater electronics (setpoint controller with integrated deco). Neither manual is available for public download (though the Shearwater for KISS manual is on Bruce Partridge's Shearwater page).

APEKS II electronics have a primary handset, secondary pO2 readout and an optional LED HUD tied into the secondary electronics set. Each electronics set has a separate sealed 1 atm battery box inside the head.

The Shearwater electronics use the same two battery boxes to supply power to the primary handset and the standard LED HUD, there is no separate secondary cell readout.

The HH has a primary pO2/dive/deco handset display that contains its battery , a secondary handset with pO2 readout that also contains its battery. The latter also powers the standard LED HUD and vibrating DIVA (alert).

There are also a few Megs out there that were fitted with HH electronics that were used before the Shearwater was completed..

padiscubapro:
There are also a few Megs out there that were fitted with HH electronics that were used before the Shearwater was completed..
I know that, there were also the first few Megs with the old Juergensen/Smithers electronics and nitrox deco computer, preceding the current APEKS II software. Since Will Smithers' fatal aviation accident trimix can't be enabled.

But from what I understand neither is currently an option on the Megalodon unless someone is looking for a used unit.

caveseeker7:
I know that, there were also the first few Megs with the old Juergensen/Smithers electronics and nitrox deco computer, preceding the current APEKS II software. Since Will Smithers' fatal aviation accident trimix can't be enabled.

But from what I understand neither is currently an option on the Megalodon unless someone is looking for a used unit.

Its a shame.. from what I saw the batteries in those units lasted forever.. The few people that had the trimix unlocked were lucky...

Thanks a lot for valuble info, guys!
Mmmm...Megs with the HH, that sounds appealling!

Caveseeker7:"the Hammerhead (for the Inspiration)...."
Stefan, I was rather thinking of HH in configuration with Optima or Kiss then an Inspiration.
One more Q!
On Megs, are there any factory options to connect outboard gases?
rgrds
tom

rzep:
Stefan, I was rather thinking of HH in configuration with Optima or Kiss ...
On the O2ptima the HH is the only available configuration.
The handsets are wired into the Micropore scrubber cannister which contains the solenoid and sesors. Unless the production version will change from the prototypes.

I haven't seen the version for the Classic KISS yet, but from what I understand, it has a preplacement 'kidney' and is thus a simple bolt-on affair like the YBOD's.

ISC offers a second manual add valve as an inexpensive option when ordering the Meg. It is, like the manual dil valve, located in the exhaltion bag. This can be used for offboard gas. When added to an existing (used) unit the price goes up considerably. There is no factory option to plug into either automated gas addition system.

Offboard gas can also be plugged into either O2 or dil manual add valves if needed, like on other CCRs with o-t-s counterlungs (YBOD, PRISM)

rzep:
Thanks a lot for valuble info, guys!
Mmmm...Megs with the HH, that sounds appealling!

Caveseeker7:"the Hammerhead (for the Inspiration)...."
Stefan, I was rather thinking of HH in configuration with Optima or Kiss then an Inspiration.
One more Q!
rgrds
tom

As caveseeker stated,
The Meg has manual add valves for both the oxygen and diluent, I personally would not add an extra valve. Its another valve that needs attention.. If you need to plug in an off board gas source all you have to do is unclip your manual dil or oxygen and clip in the offboard source..

I have a set of meg counterlings and I don't have an extra valve added.. I am also glad I did not.. The manual ads are drysuit addition valves, they work well but definately aren't designed for continuous use.. The manual adds used on the inspiration seem to be the best used by anyone (they were designed for this purpose) and are very easy to service and test..

My one complaint (it will be addressed for the neoprene lungs) is that you can't do regular checks to see if the valve is leaking slightly, and easily clean out the valve.. I teach all my students to clean there valves (especially if they have been clipped/unclipped underwater) by removing them and submerging in fresh water (or reversingflow from filled counterlungs) and operating the valves, then blow out with gas from a whip.. On the meg can reverse the flow easily on the inhale counterlung, but on the exhale counterlung (even with the opv set the hardest) its a pain in the but since the opv doesnt hold water well.. taking them off is definately the best solution.

On an inspiration part of the regular checks I teach is to remove the manual add and submerge it in a glass of water while connected to thereg and pressurized.. You can find small leaks before they become a problem..

caveseeker7:

Stefan,

just a small correction...the HUD _is_ the secondary cell readout in the shearwater package. It uses separate electronics from the shearwater controller and reports PO2. If you meant there's no 2nd handset, that would be correct.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom