Hammerheads and Mikomoto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nori1841:
at first dive of first trip to Mikomoto yesterday.
I must be very lucky guy. The guide was preparing float for safety-stop, one guest pointed out ahead, something was coming, we all dashed ahead, school of Hammerheads were moving from right to left, number of HH's were around 88.
Visibility was 15m, not clear blue water but actual sightings were much better than phots

nice pics nori :) which company/boat did you go with?!

Mikomoto has dynamic and attractive sea. You could find schools of fish, sunfish, big fishes, gray shark and Hammerheads. A couple of HH's can be found once per two to four tanks by sighting logs of the center. If you were very lucky, a school of HH's would surround and enclose you. When Kuroshio(Black Stream) come into the area,visibility will increase.  
It's also fisherman's paradise. There were anglers found on small rocks almost washed by the waves even on rough waves.

Mandatory requirements; more than 30 tanks, advanced cert., signaling float, no long blank, logbook, C-card
Minimum 30 tanks is not enough to dive here, I think.
There are always complicated currents, up, down, right, left.
Today's diving took place during large surges. I thought neighboring dive sites might be closed in this condition. And it was closed tomorrow.

DM's gave us very detailed briefing and cautions;
-quick entry, exit, and moving with DM's to prevent lost
-holding and releasing rocks with a DM at the same time to prevent lost
-divers are required to return to the boat by themselves safely after lost.
-do not search other divers, stop diving, take safety-stop, come up, raise a float after lost
-should inform DM's of 70 bar residual air
-do not come off to prevent a collision with a boat on the surface

Divers would be pulled down to more than -30m at once by strong down current.
Maximum pick up time would exceed 30min on the surface.
I think the DM's and athletic clubs have a similar atmosphere.
Finally,I strongly recommend all of you bring powerful fins

Sounds like Yonaguni, I will have to come up and give it a go!!

You should, you really should. Actually you are spot on, there are even some areas that are distinctly similar to the monuments. Same geology I guess. The diving conditions are simillar as well, but perhaps with slightly less control than Yonaguni (if you can believe that).

The one thing Yonaguni has on Mikomoto though is that endless visibility. Mikomoto is usually very good, but I've rarely experienced visibility like the dives I did in Yonaguni.

We have a few other spots in Izu that are comparable, and in some ways even more exciting than Mikomoto, we just don't tell people about them much in case they get busy like every where else up here.

If you come to town look us up and we'll show you around.

Titan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom