Hampton Roads Dive Shops - Let's hear it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Ethan, let me know when you plan to go to DDD. I'll tag along and see what they're doing with their Nitrox classes.

Sure! I *think* I will be heading up there maybe Thursday or Friday, around lunch. I haven't confirmed with him a solid time / date yet, I'm not sure which day will be best.

He said to bring the Inspiration up and he'd look it over.

It's a bit of a trek from here, and I'll probably go around lunch time. I'm thinking 45 minutes each way.

Since Commonwealth Dive went out of business last year I have used Lynnhaven exclusively. I like the staff and they are usually quite friendly/helpful.

Underwater Adventures pissed me off with their 'we don't fill tanks from other shops' policy. AND their prices are utterly ridiculous for fills. I was quoted $40 for 2200 psi fill of O2 for my stage bottles this year. So I hauled 2 sets of doubles and several stage bottles down to Lynnhaven for service. Its a pain to have to drive >100 miles round trip for fills, but I have lots of tanks so I can drop some off (since they don't seem to be motivated to fix the 3rd nitrox bank) and still continue to dive.

I will check out DDD though. Their website is awful, but if they can fill a tank - at a reasonable price - I will start using them for fills and save myself some gas money.

They do have a fill station ....don't they? You can't tell from their website.

yeah it is alittle tacky. Right now they do just air fills and looking to add nitrox after the first of the year. they can't do high pressure fills. fills are $6.00 drop off pick-up later that day. They just got the OMS dealership in newport news.

I do most of my actual boat dives with LDC, their boat is by far the cheapest way to the wreaks on the east coast. I can spend the day on LDC's boat for $50 to any midweek inshore dive. You get two dives, two free air fills and free lunch, (must have club membership: $40 yearly). That’s hard to beat. Off shore dives can be cheap too: Wednesday on the Morgan wreak costs me $60 with air fill and lunch, (with club membership). LDC's boat capt seems to have a low threshold for calling the dive. A small breeze and you're going to shore. I'd say 40-50% of my LDC trips get 'called' after the first dive.

DQ visits more of the deeper wreaks more often, but most of their dives are too much $$ for me. A midweek inshore dive with DQ will cost me $100 and I don’t get free air or free lunch. Since their ‘chartered’ boat doesn’t have a compressor, I also need two tanks. (LDC I only need 1 tank). Wednesday on the Morgan wreck costs me $148 without air fill or lunch, (no club membership or discounts offered). DQ's boat will go out in a hurricane if you're willing to hold on tight enough. I do like that. I'd say 20% of my DQ trips get 'called' after the first dive. The DQ boat will let you have more freedom in personal dive style than the LDC boat, if you want to dive solo or go deep...DQ seems to allow you the choice to do so as long as you seem competent.

I get my gear serviced at DQ 90% of the time, LDC 10%. DQ will tell you like it is and have always done good work for me. I’ve found LDC to be pretentious & condescending with regard to gear and repairs….too much ego there for me. LDC has some great employees, but they also have some scuba snobs. DQ seams nonjudgmental & no ego. Both are crazy expensive on repairs and service.

I shop evenly at both shops...and drop way too much money at each! Both are equally over priced. The internet is much cheaper, but we gotta' support our local shops.

For Nitrox fills, I always go to DQ. They are great & consistent about overfilling my LPs. LDC seems to think the FBI will kick down their doors if they do a 10% overfill.

I get most of my instruction (90%) at LDC, my experience with their instructors has been great. LDC is great with private classes, at no extra cost. DQ seems to do their instruction by the class, not by the person.

LDC is primarily SSI
DQ is primarily PADI

Had a bad experience with Underwater Adventures and their policy on not filling tanks with other shops inspection stickers, so I've avoided them since.

The Portsmouth shop only services equipment for brands they sell, which was another wasted trip for me...its their choice to limit their customer pool...I don't go there for that reason.

See you at the hang bar!

Last edited:
DQ is cool always got a great discount and a good staff. The took good care of my tech gear. Lynnhaven sucked, that lady there Cathy should take some personality lessons, think I'd rather kiss a mud toad than to deal with her again. THink she dated a guy named Adolf. Some guy there Mark a boat captain was really smart and we dove on their boat nice captain. Tried some shops on the other side, Common wealth, what a loser. The shop across the street Underwater something, went in there to fill tanks and looked at some gear they did not want to deal at all, and the air fill on my pony was 5 bucks for a 19 tank. Felt like leaving a 100 on the desk and I didn't even get a cigarette. I'm getting stationed back in florida soon.... diving here sucks!

Wow, I'm kind of surprised at the end of that post from a diver with your # of dives. Unless they are all in 80/80 dive sites.
I agreed with everything you said up to the diving here sucks part.
Cathy at LDC, definitely, probably met Marc Sommers, very nice guy.
DQ does all my gear & training & does TDI for us tech minded folks. Joe, Matt & Dave are the best.
I've been to Florida & did the Lauderdale/Key Largo round. Enjoyed it very much, NC beats it by a ton though. A little bit more $$ since the sites are a bit further off shore, but most are natural wrecks & not artificial, like Florida.
Virginia diving is definitely not for everyone, it takes a bit more planning & most of the time running a reel is strongly advised, but this only makes you a better diver.
I went to New Jersey last weekend to dive & the water temp was under 40, they require any diver (on their boat for the 1st time) to do the 1st dive with a mate. But they allowed my buddy & I to dive on our own knowing we were both experienced Va. divers. I don't think that would have been allowed for anyone from a southern more easy diver friendly location.
But I'm sure you won't be diving up there if you think diving here sucks.

Try the coast of Maine and Washinton state not exactly 80/80, Love NC and it is only 3 hrs to the Gulf stream. As for the dive numbers, I aint's 25 anymore and warm water is nice. Sad part about here is that the vis goes to ()!#@* in 2 seconds hence it sucks. Dove with JT, and Marc Sommers too, great guys; and us Northern boys consider 40 warm. Agree on the reel especially on the Morgan. Guess I should say that it is the attitude of some of the shops here that prompts a "SUCKS" from me, at least in FL you can get a decent price on gear and fills without a load crap from the staff. Been in every shop here and I like DQ, Chesapeake, Divers unlimited. Don't know about that Grimsley dude but I hear he's the real deal too. Just to let you know, this is my 2nd time here so I have dove off of VA a few times and it ain't changed much! Later dude hope no hard feelings just my opinion.

DQ has all the odd parts I've ever needed, and they will service my equipment that LDC will not. They also have the capability to do hydrostatic testing in house which is neat.

I signed up and did the classroom part of the PADI AOW with DQ. I want to say it cost over $200. Wouldn't let me buy just the book. Classroom was whipping through the answers. The instructor didn't show up for the 2nd night of the class (pool). That did not impress me. We were on our own and messed with a lift bag in the pool (Another instructor, Matt I believe, was tending to an OW class). I call it the most expensive pool visit ever. Was not impressed. PADI = Put Another Dollar In.

I haven't had bad experience with LDC. They don't bank Nitrox though, and I feel bad because it takes so long to do a fill (using booster pump). I understand their reasoning. They started a dive club, and offer killer discounts by joining.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom