Hand signal question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
What does this mean? Hold your hands together like you are praying and then spread your hands apart at the finger side, keeping your palms together to make a "V" shape.

The first time I saw someone do this I was like..ummm you need a bowl? Your hungry, need food? Praying? Lucky it was a shallow dive and we surfaced and I was like " what the H%#*" does that mean?

Boat.

We were on the Eureka on Sunday and a rather persistent spearfisherman came up to my buddy and I and gave us that signal. Since we were hovering over one of the boilers and we were tied into the one next to us, we could actually see the anchorline from where we were. Once we figured out that we thought he meant boat, we kept pointing and giving the same sign but he stayed right with us. Finally, my buddy pointed at him, pointed at us, and asked him if he wanted us to go up with him. He vigorously shook his head yes, so we took him to the anchor line. He was gone like a shot though and we never saw him again (we had about a 15 minute hang left to do).

Was wondering for future reference since I hadn't seen that one before.

I never saw that signal before, I used holding hands out cupped in a begging gesture, but never up with palms together

annie once bubbled...
I never saw that signal before, I used holding hands out cupped in a begging gesture, but never up with palms together

O-ring kinda described it in a round about way, but that's the signal he was talking about.

That would be the signal that my group uses to make reference to the "boat". You either point in the direction or use that to say "Go to the boat"

O-ring once bubbled...
What does this mean? Hold your hands together like you are praying and then spread your hands apart at the finger side, keeping your palms together to make a "V" shape.

Gosh... I'd be lost if someone gave me that signal (Well, until now anyway). For "boat" my buddies and I have always done kind of the opposite. Finger tips together, palms apart in an upside down "V" shaped like the bow of the boat.

So, if I have this correct, that hand signal basically means..."I'm lost and would really like you to point me to the boat, since I [may] have to go to the bathroom..."

Ok, I added the rest, but ya get the picture....

Back
Top Bottom