Handheld light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Hesers were great 15 years ago and my Heser clones were better, unfortunately technology has come a long way since then and there are a lot of lights that are better now.

Michael

Focus Handheld
LX-20

I wouldn't look at much else for handhelds.

The Focus is wonky on a number of fronts, the weirdest being the way the beam works -- there's almost zero spill so only the part within the beam is illuminated. But it's an amazing light. I've got a Focus head on an E/O cord that I swap out between a LM 21W HID and LM 35W VF depending on the dive plan.

The LX-20 is pretty well tried and true and is an all around great light. If I could only have one handheld light, this may be it.

The Halcyon lights are nice, so are the Dive Rite. If I need a handheld though, I just use my DRIS 3C cell backup. Its 1,000 lumens (claimed) and I find it plenty bright for overheads.
What burn time do you get with it?
Using Alkalines (brand?)?
Or using rechargeables (NiMH?)?
And does it work really on a handle?
I am wondering there if it is too long for a soft handle to be practical... and if the length is still OK on a hard handle ... or if it is also on the long side for that?
.... and thought since you actually use that light you might have a better way of judging that...

I had that DRIS light if it’s the one I’m thinking off. Way too long be used on the back of anyone’s hand. They have a 1K lumen shorty that’s more appropriate for use in a handle.

I’m a big fan of the LX-20, but if you are running a primary can/cord light, than you might take a look at Dive Rite’s new CX1

It’s smaller that the LX20 and uses. Single 26650 or sleeved 18650 and has a push button and 4 intensity levels. 2-3hr burn on high. For me, this is a great primary for OW/cavern or a backup that’s much more capable of all my others.

The Hesers were great 15 years ago and my Heser clones were better, unfortunately technology has come a long way since then and there are a lot of lights that are better now.

Michael

As far as a hand held primary light is concerned, I agree. In the cave backup light arena, I still think its one the the best, if not the best one. I may be a bit biased because here in Europe they are significantly cheaper than the Halcyon scouts, and imho also more robust. E.g. the Heser has two O-rings vs the one of the scout. We’re talking fine differences though.

I’d say the Heser makes sense as a handheld primary only if you are thinking in terms of a longer journey. That means you will eventually go full cave for which you will use the Heser as your backup, and until you go there you use it as a recreational hand held primary, to avoid having to buy twice. If thats not your use case, and you look for a pure play hand held primary, I’d pick something else.

Also to note, there are hard goodman handles for the Heser (or other 3C cell lights), but together with the light I find them rather heavy and not good for dives longer than 40min. If you are about to invest significant money in a handheld primary, try it out in the water to feel the weight. This is one of the main reasons why I still prefer the can light: have the battery weight on the hip and not on the hand.

What burn time do you get with it?
Using Alkalines (brand?)?
Or using rechargeables (NiMH?)?
And does it work really on a handle?
I am wondering there if it is too long for a soft handle to be practical... and if the length is still OK on a hard handle ... or if it is also on the long side for that?
.... and thought since you actually use that light you might have a better way of judging that...
It's too long to effectively use with a Goodman handle. 3C calls plus the head. Burns reasonably bright for 3 hours then ok for the next two as its tapering off.

The 1k shorty from DRIS is nice too. Burns reasonable for about an hour then tapers off over the next.

Neither of those compare to the Halcyon or Dive Rite handhelds mentioned above. I've used both those and they are much nicer, also over 10x the price. I had an HP50 but sold it, it was really nice. I just rarely use a handheld so when I do I grab one of my backup lights. I can't justify the cost of a handheld to use it once every year or two. To each their own.
:)

I have a fair number of dives on the LX20 at this point. My experience is that it’s a really solid light... except for the switch. I will eventually get some particle under it. That particle will make it hard (or in one case nearly impossible) to turn on/off. This doesn’t happen every dive or every trip, but it’s happened sporadically. It is not hard to take the switch apart because it’s magnetic.

It’s probably the ideal light for me otherwise.

I’m a big fan of the LX-20, but if you are running a primary can/cord light, than you might take a look at Dive Rite’s new CX1

It’s smaller that the LX20 and uses. Single 26650 or sleeved 18650 and has a push button and 4 intensity levels. 2-3hr burn on high. For me, this is a great primary for OW/cavern or a backup that’s much more capable of all my others.

I really like the Dive Rite CX1 and would like to use it as a backup, but my main concern is that it uses rechargeable batteries. I was taught that a backup should not be rechargeable. Is that still a concern?

Also it doesn't seem to lock in the off position, which seems to be a drawback to me because my primary and current backup both lock in the off position.

Are these non-existent issues or should they be a concern?
Is there a similarly strong and small backup light with a good burn time that does not use only rechargeable batteries? Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom