Handling LDS fee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in the market for a new dive computer and had settled on the Shearwater Perdix. This was about the same time the Teric came out and although I didn’t want the teric I was curious about price. I went to a local dive shop that I don’t use but they had one in stock. I asked about price and he brought it up on the computer.

He didn’t know it but I happened to see their price vs my price. I was amazed at the difference about half of retail.

That’s why I buy used still under warranty.

Glenn

you were looking at the wrong pricing. I’m a Shearwater dealer. The markup on Shearwater is the lowest in my store between my cost and MSRP. Once in a while, we can make a little money when the Canadian dollar sucks.

I’ve owned one successful shop and partner with another. I’ve been in the industry for almost 3 decades. I also own a multi-million dollar company and two corporations of varying success. And here’s what I know as the only surviving shop within 50 miles for 45 years.

If the bulk of what we sell does not bring 100% markup, we probably would not survive. We do about 150-200 students per year. We charge $5 for air and $10 for Nitrox. We teach everything from discover scuba to CCR Cave. The old adage, “know how to make a million dollars in the scuba industry? Start with 2 million” could not be truer. You better have a good location and great customer service.

I’ve worked in many industries. Jewelry might be 600% Markup. Package Liquor and cigarettes 5%. Lottery Tickets 1%. Clothing 300-400%. What drives pricing is the amount of people buying. Half of what Walmart is selling is less than 30% markup. But how many customers are buying it?

In my money maker industry, I have 3000+ customers buying from me year after year, and that is growing every single day by 20 people a day. In the scuba industry, how many people do you think walk into the shop in the course of a month in January? 10? 5? We are not getting rich at this. It’s a passion. And at this point it’s a 45+ year legacy. We’re the only shop in our county. And we have to keep the lights on, the doors open and the compressor blowing.

The owner takes a $35,000 annual paycheck. He hasn’t changed his pay in 20 years. We try to be fair, we price match anyone when we can, but you gotta ask yourself, how much are you willing to partner with your LDS to make sure you have a local expert to bail you out of a jam when your reg dies the hour before you start packing for a trip to Roatan? Or how much are you willing to pay to make sure you have a place to get fills?

I’d like to keep the legacy alive, and frankly I don’t need to get rich doing it, but I have a compressor, booster, fill station, five rebreathers and 2 scooters in my airplane hangar. If this thing folds up, I’ll still be okay. But I’d miss our family of divers coming to lie back and sit in the recliners shooting the crap about dive stories we’ve heard over and over for 20 years. I’d hope our loyal customers understand that it’s a passion, not a get rich quick (or ever) scheme. I’d hope they’d want to help us keep the passion alive.

I’ve owned one successful shop and partner with another. I’ve been in the industry for almost 3 decades. I also own a multi-million dollar company and two corporations of varying success. And here’s what I know as the only surviving shop within 50 miles for 45 years.

If the bulk of what we sell does not bring 100% markup, we probably would not survive. We do about 150-200 students per year. We charge $5 for air and $10 for Nitrox. We teach everything from discover scuba to CCR Cave. The old adage, “know how to make a million dollars in the scuba industry? Start with 2 million” could not be truer. You better have a good location and great customer service.

I’ve worked in many industries. Jewelry might be 600% Markup. Package Liquor and cigarettes 5%. Lottery Tickets 1%. Clothing 300-400%. What drives pricing is the amount of people buying. Half of what Walmart is selling is less than 30% markup. But how many customers are buying it?

In my money maker industry, I have 3000+ customers buying from me year after year, and that is growing every single day by 20 people a day. In the scuba industry, how many people do you think walk into the shop in the course of a month in January? 10? 5? We are not getting rich at this. It’s a passion. And at this point it’s a 45+ year legacy. We’re the only shop in our county. And we have to keep the lights on, the doors open and the compressor blowing.

The owner takes a $35,000 annual paycheck. He hasn’t changed his pay in 20 years. We try to be fair, we price match anyone when we can, but you gotta ask yourself, how much are you willing to partner with your LDS to make sure you have a local expert to bail you out of a jam when your reg dies the hour before you start packing for a trip to Roatan? Or how much are you willing to pay to make sure you have a place to get fills?

I’d like to keep the legacy alive, and frankly I don’t need to get rich doing it, but I have a compressor, booster, fill station, five rebreathers and 2 scooters in my airplane hangar. If this thing folds up, I’ll still be okay. But I’d miss our family of divers coming to lie back and sit in the recliners shooting the crap about dive stories we’ve heard over and over for 20 years. I’d hope our loyal customers understand that it’s a passion, not a get rich quick (or ever) scheme. I’d hope they’d want to help us keep the passion alive.

airplane hangar? that's so james bond.

Oh! I should look at Aston Martins! :)

the vanquish is exquisite. but then, the new jaguar f-type is stunning. wow. i love living vicariously through wealthy people. let me know which one you get. :)

the vanquish is exquisite. but then, the new jaguar f-type is stunning. wow. i love living vicariously through wealthy people. let me know which one you get. :)

Nothing in reality. I gotta recover. I bought my second plane last week and then the pre-order on the C8 came due this morning. Lol

it’s good to hear that some people actually have good experiences with an LDS. There are not enough of them. It goes both ways as well.

I've mostly had good experiences with dive shops. I always talk with them about my purchases, and if we can't come to an agreement on price we both know we tried. I get my wetsuits, hoods, gloves, and boots at the shop because I want them to fit, so there is that.

I recently moved and as time goes on I'll see how the new shop will work out, assuming I am not forced to leave diving from old age and medical.

What I don’t like though about manufacturers pricing is, as a consumer, I can’t price shop. What I mean by that is the price is set. You can go look at any online store to include amazon and eBay and the price is the same with the exception some include shipping. The only way to get a “deal” is on the used market. I do my homework and try to only buy things I need used that are still in warranty. I also try to buy items from folks who have never registered said product and have them include original receipt. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.
There was a guy selling shearwaters well below the normal MAP (minimum advertised price) a couple of years ago. I won’t say where he was advertising. Many customers did not get their computers. Last I saw, his states attorney general was tryin to pursue him.

Shearwaters are a premium product and their dealer policies reflect that.

Nothing in reality. I gotta recover. I bought my second plane last week and then the pre-order on the C8 came due this morning. Lol

you're one of those people with 30 hours in a day, aren't you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom