Harnesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will add that Dive Rescue International also has a harness that was made specifically for public safety diving. It has not been "tested" by OSHA but it has a proven track record of working well for public safety divers and swiftwater rescue personnel. This is a "chest harness" only and not for high angle work. It was designed to tether the diver working in current but is now used for all PSD operations. There have been ZERO failures and the only complaint I am aware of is surface rust on "D" rings cuased by a vendor who sold us an inferior product. This issue has been resolved now.

For dry suit divers or divers using bail out blocks, we have also designed a "Work-n-Weight" system that incorporates a weight system, attachment point for the bailout block and "D" rings mounted at the chest for tethering the PSD.

FYI...

Blades

BladesRobinson:
I will add that Dive Rescue International also has a harness that was made specifically for public safety diving. It has not been "tested" by OSHA but it has a proven track record of working well for public safety divers and swiftwater rescue personnel. This is a "chest harness" only and not for high angle work. It was designed to tether the diver working in current but is now used for all PSD operations. There have been ZERO failures and the only complaint I am aware of is surface rust on "D" rings cuased by a vendor who sold us an inferior product. This issue has been resolved now.

For dry suit divers or divers using bail out blocks, we have also designed a "Work-n-Weight" system that incorporates a weight system, attachment point for the bailout block and "D" rings mounted at the chest for tethering the PSD.

FYI...

Blades

Cool!

Got a link or picture?

Gary,

Very interesting harness. I like how the rear straps are tied together. One fo the reasons why I think the LGS harness has problems is becuase the straps are so far apart. I have even tried to cross them over but then other problems came up. I will take a hard look at this one. It is so reasonably priced I may just pick one up.

As for DRI I found two harnesses but I am not sure if they are the ones blades was referring to. Neither are in the PSD catalog section.

One is in the ice rescue section on page 34 called a "chest harness" product number 6157 if you want to find it on the price list.

The other is under surface air on page 23 it is called a J.L. Diving harness product #6650.

Both are show on a person so it is hard to see the who harnss.

Mark

dittrimd:
Gary,

Very interesting harness. I like how the rear straps are tied together.

Mark
Sewed

dittrimd:
Sorry I meant "tied" together as connected not tied as in a knot.
They are sewed in the position you see and are not moveable.

Gary D.

Mark,

Sorry to weigh in late on this discussion but the harness I was referring to is the model #6157. There is another integrated weight harness shown on page 24, the WORK-AND-WEIGHT system.

All of these harnesses are suitable for public safety diving and each has pros and cons. Our agency uses both the WORN-AND-WEIGHT and the standard "chest harness." The chest harness works for ice diving, current diving and typical PSD operations where the diver is tended by a tender. The "quick release snap shackle" is also recomended PSD operations, excluding "overhead environments."

Blades

dittrimd:
As for DRI I found two harnesses but I am not sure if they are the ones blades was referring to. Neither are in the PSD catalog section.

One is in the ice rescue section on page 34 called a "chest harness" product number 6157 if you want to find it on the price list.

The other is under surface air on page 23 it is called a J.L. Diving harness product #6650.

Both are show on a person so it is hard to see ...

Mark

Blades,

Thanks for the info. I know early on it seemed as if I was totally against shoulder harness which is not the case. Between the comments on the DRI harnesses and the boating harness Gary mentioned I am going to try them. This does not mean that I still don't want to look at the other options. Maybe not as a primary dive harness but for special appications as needed. I always feel that we need to continually evaluate what and how we do what we do. I agree that we need to make sure we do not create more problems by trying to do things better.

Thanks to everyone on this board for all their great comments and insight. I take so much back to my team from this board which I believe helps to make us better and safer.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom