Harnesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coderekv

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What do PSD divers use for harnesses? Is there anything dive-specific?

I ask because I am working with a company to design a PSD diver specific harness. WE have a prototype that is currently with a team in NC ofr evaluation.

Derek V

teams I've been around all used standard hogarthian harnesses or the Dive Rite Deluxe harnesses. Nothing particularly special on them.... Sorry that doesn't help much, but they had everything they needed on it. Only modification was a modified crotch strap if the team had to be lowered or picked up out of somewhere and that was just the double leg harness from a rock climbing rig.

Our design is based on a parachute harness (I'm a Master Parachute Rigger) and included leg straps. It also includes a back plate for twin tanks. Everything is load-bearing.

Derek V

Coderekv, I personally dive on 6 Dive Teams in my area, and lead 3 of those. We are currently using Lifeguard Systems Harness for our tending harnesses. download.jpg I would be willing to test your system out if you need any more test dummies. If you are talking about the harness for the BCD / BPW, each team uses different configurations than the next. All of the teams hear are volunteer, and most supply their own gear. Only 2 of our teams receive grants for equipment and are equipped the same for each member. The one we take with us to New York each year for Ice Diving, is custom built by one of our Instructors. 10001568_538367582945523_581709208_n.jpg1901825_538367149612233_493255979_n (1).jpg Not a very good shot, but you can see the basis of the harness. Once again I would be happy to try out a harness system if you need more test dummies.

There are lots of commercial diving harnesses on the market already. This is just a small sampling.

Harnesses

What makes your different? Are they certified? If so by whom?

Bryan- I would appreciate it if you would test one for us. I'll send you a V2.0 when I have it. We are currently waiting for feedback on V1.0. Then we will make changes/improvements, etc and produce V2.0. hard to tell, but the pictures look like very similar to standard construction safety harness hardware with some addition gear rings.

Rich- The harness will be able to lift the diver and a "passenger", similar to a skydive tandem system. Hardware is much nicer than what we have seen on other harnesses. We are looking at OSHA certification.

Derek V

Coderekv, I will send you a pm with the address to my shop, and when you get the V2.0 completed I will give it thorough review. I also have the ability to test out the lowering and raising of the diver. I will document all testing for you by camera and send you my results and any suggestions on improvements that could be made from the field. The biggest thing I have noticed is manufactures try to make the SPECIAL MAGICAL SYSTEM that works in every situation. Unfortunately, sometimes one item will not work for every person. One of the teams I dive for is Colletsville Fire & Rescue, geographically in the Mountains of North Carolina. Primarily, steep slopes and fast moving water. Also way to many trees to be air lifted out of the water. However, can be lowered down and a great place for rope rescue and water rescue. Your harness maybe a little overboard for that. Another team is Bethlehem Fire and Rescue. Bethlehem has a huge district on Lake Hickory and a harness for them would be great if being lowered by a helicopter. Let me know when you get it completed and I will be happy to give you my honest opinion of it.

…Rich- The harness will be able to lift the diver and a "passenger", similar to a skydive tandem system. Hardware is much nicer than what we have seen on other harnesses. We are looking at OSHA certification…

You have probably noticed that commercial diving harnesses use rivets instead of sewing. The reason is that sewn harnesses have failed because floating hydrocarbons attacked the thin cross section of thread. This is something that public safety divers are exposed to, though not in such high concentrations as surface supplied commercial divers can encounter.

harnesses | Miller Diving

Atlantic Diving Equipment - Commercial Diving Harnesses

If you look at Dive Rescue International they have a working weight harness. Our team purchased them and work great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom