"Harrasment" drills are fun!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris_b

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First off, there's nothing sarcastic about this thread's subject, it really was a blast!

We're finally nearing the end of our pool sessions for the basic OW class. This week we did what our instructor called a "lake simulation." Seven of fourteen students in the deep end at once, all with high-tech lake simulators in their masks (wetted brown paper towels), to create the visual equivalent of a silted-out grungy lake bottom. We couldn't see a thing, other than slight differentiation between light and dark. Three assistant instructors were swimming around "simulating" various "events;" of course they didn't have to wear blinders. The challenge was to stay down for ten minutes.

The assistant instructors kept busy pulling peoples' fins off and throwing them out of the pool, turning their air off, pulling on their masks, tangling them in lines (both anchored to the bottom and attached to floats on the surface), etc.

I was pretty proud of myself =-) as I was the only one of the group who was still had fins by the end. Somebody tangled me in a line attached to a bunch of weights, so I untangled myself, coiled up the line, and wrapped it around the weights so it would be hard to pull out again. They tried to break my mask seal a few times but weren't successful. My air was turned off three times, and my tank was unstrapped from my bc. The no-air situation was a shock the first time, but it was really easy to turn it back on. The strap is a two piece thing, and I couldn't see to get it back on; I spent the rest of the time holding the tank under my left arm!

Anyway, I think this was the most fun I've had in the pool sessions. After we were done, the other seven students got in the pool and we got to watch. It was almost as fun watching as it was participating!

Ok, well, just wanted to share! :D

Chris

Chris

I guess the saying "You have to be cruel to be kind" comes into play.

That kind of exercise helps to prepare you for the open waters! And also adds a bit of fun and mystery...sounds like you had a really cool instructor! :)

Were you allowed to use your knife as a weapon instead of a dive tool in this drill? That would have made it more interesting.

On a serious note, I think that more instructors should do things like that, as it is far better to experience those ype of things for the first time in a controlled situation.

Originally posted by TRUETEXAN
Were you allowed to use your knife as a weapon instead of a dive tool in this drill?...

No, no knives in the pool :dead: but one of the guys from the first group did get some revenge on the AI who chucked his fins, he snuck up on him while he was "harassing" the second group and stole one of his fins!

sounds like fun - we have some fun like that sometimes but normally on rescue diver candidates.

Also the DM's and AI's "hassle" each other to keep o/w students entertained whilst they wait in line....

That sounds as a great experience !

This situation proves once again my firm belief that the training quality is not about agency but about the instructor !!

and your instructor sounds more than cool...

...Tell him that you post your experience here and pass him on our congratulations !!

Manogr

Originally posted by chris_b
RE: "Harassment" drills are fun!

Chris

I think for many divers, confidence building exercises such as the ones you described are their favorite part of the class.

These are the same people who usuaully end up sticking with the sport and, with experience, turn into good divers.

"Extreme" drills can be alot of fun and a big confidence builder....IFF your are already comfortable and feeling safe.

On the other hand is you are uncomfortable with the skills or environment - it can turn into a real panic situation.

It can be a great tool - I'm glad you were ready and had fun! Kudos both you and your instructor!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom