Has anyone dove Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find this hard to believe. I have been to Bonaire.
Dive the east side. If you go off the RIB you will see that both dives typically. On the west side it is one or two max typically. They estimate 1500 turtles live on the east side which is one of the highest densities in the world.

Went out with East Coast Divers when I was there. I quit counting turtles somewhere around 30, which was about 10 min into the dive. It was in June and the turtles were laying and resting in the shallower water. They were everywhere. 1000 steps kicked my butt coming back to the truck.

When planning a dive I use Windguru for Bonaire

Windguru - Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba - Bonaire

If you click on a wind value for a day and time a map comes up and you can zoom in. In this example I clicked on the wind speed value for 27 jan at 08h.

Screenshot_20200126-090210_Firefox.jpg

You can see the wind direction relative to the island. Help picking a spot to dive where entry due to waves is an issue.

I find this hard to believe. I have been to Bonaire.
Dive the west side, you're lucky to see 1 at once. The East coast is a different world.

Dive the west side, you're lucky to see 1 at once. The East coast is a different world.
There used to be a residential Hawksbill nearby the Den Lamar pier. I wonder if she's still there?

Dove with East Coast Divers last Tuesday, I lost track of how many turtles I seen on the first dive. I gave up at 25 knowing I was doing the ..22..23..24.....23..24..25.......a few times. The DM Sid, was pointing out yet another Southern Ray and I pointed over his shoulder to 2 more turtles, afterwards he said, "Yeah, which way do you look." Lots of turtles, rays and morays there. Guess the Green Turtles come into the bay at night to eat the turtle grass and sleep, then in the morning exit the bay. So the boat gets out in front of them, and as they leave they are swimming right at you.
In 15 dives this week on the west coast, I never seen a turtle. Today we drove up north and at Tolo we were looking at the shoreline when the wife says, "There's a turtle!" A little hawksbill just bouncing around the shoreline ledge.

The wasn't any big stuff like sharks, turtles, rays, etc. except on the Hooker there were a large school Tarpon.
I understand that large sea life is a component of good dives. And I'm not singling you out here, rather just mentioning some possible places to consider.
Last year I dove San Salvador, Bahamas. Out of the 18 dives there, I did not see a shark only on the last dive, (and it ticked me off), though someone else did.
In 2018, we were at Lighthouse Reef, Belize, (Huracan Lodge), and there were 3-5 sharks on EVERY dive. In fact at both places, it actually became annoying because I couldn't focus on much else while they were around. I know, POOR ME, right?! But when you are trying to focus on macro and these guys want to swim within arms reach of you, you pay attention!

BTW, the tarpon are still on The Hooker.

Dove with East Coast Divers last Tuesday, I lost track of how many turtles I seen on the first dive. I gave up at 25 knowing I was doing the ..22..23..24.....23..24..25.......a few times. The DM Sid, was pointing out yet another Southern Ray and I pointed over his shoulder to 2 more turtles, afterwards he said, "Yeah, which way do you look." Lots of turtles, rays and morays there. Guess the Green Turtles come into the bay at night to eat the turtle grass and sleep, then in the morning exit the bay. So the boat gets out in front of them, and as they leave they are swimming right at you.
In 15 dives this week on the west coast, I never seen a turtle. Today we drove up north and at Tolo we were looking at the shoreline when the wife says, "There's a turtle!" A little hawksbill just bouncing around the shoreline ledge.
People swim over them all the time surface swimming out to the drop off. I've seen 7 in one dive at salt pier, the entire time watching people swim over us on their backs.

Back
Top Bottom