Has anyone ever gone back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well by the way he talks of bc,s protecting you from geting cut on a wreck and such also by pics on his site of im guessing of him he looks alott like what i would call a stroke.

and to the part of me being almost 100% dir im talking gear setup wise considering the topic was basicly gear setup. i dont do a few things dir guys do setup wise, i have my can light head on my right hand, but i dont use scooters and i use my left hand alot more underwater. and a few other things like i wear my watch n depth gage on my left arm.

well by the way he talks of bc,s protecting you from geting cut on a wreck and such also by pics on his site of im guessing of him he looks alott like what i would call a stroke.

and to the part of me being almost 100% dir im talking gear setup wise considering the topic was basicly gear setup. i dont do a few things dir guys do setup wise, i have my can light head on my right hand, but i dont use scooters and i use my left hand alot more underwater. and a few other things like i wear my watch n depth gage on my left arm.

For what its worth, I'm sure you will be taken as DIR.

thats the main reason i dont consider myself 100% dir i aint had fundies plan on take them but i have been told i was an awsome and respictable diver by a couple guys i would consider very very excpirenced such as dan crowell. who i will be taking classes with soon on the ap evo rebreather.

thats the main reason i dont consider myself 100% dir i aint had fundies plan on take them but i have been told i was an awsome and respictable diver by a couple guys i would consider very very excpirenced such as dan crowell. who i will be taking classes with soon on the ap evo rebreather.

Well, I would say good luck, but it sounds like you don't need it.

I haven't read the whole post yet (need to pop some popcorn first) but I can answer the OP's question for what it's worth.

I started with a jacket BCD which was ok but now I dive a BP/W with the longhose config. which I prefer. I have never liked the PADI (for lack of a better description) style of rigging the regs.

I occasionally dive a horse collar BC however and the longhose config doesn't work so well. The hose has to route over the HC and the usual right chest D ring is hidden and not (as) accessable for clipping off. For this application I use a bungied shorthose for my primary and sling the longer octo in the old PADI style. It clips off well in the triangle on the HC D ring.

I also don't like my BP for holding the tank in this app. as a single tank sits to far out from my back when using an STA. For my "vintage" dives I am instead refurbishing an old 1950's US army rucksack/SCUBA rig. I have also used a simple military harness.

Not the usual answer I suppose but one example of switching away from a BP/W hog rig.

I started with a back pack. No Bc.
Went to Horse Collar when BC's became the rage.
Picked up the first ScubaPro Stab jacket because it was more convenient than a Horse Collar. Back to the back pack w/o bc for a few years. Then a couple BC's a couple back plates and a few wings. Now just my my MV's. 18# mostly.

Don't expect I'll go back.

Attachments

• vest 001.JPG
    vest 001.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 100
  • old scuba 001.JPG
    old scuba 001.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 109
  • goliath 2.3.jpg
    goliath 2.3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 104
  • MacV 18# 004.JPG
    MacV 18# 004.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 108
I don't know if I've gone back or moved foreward.
I started in a rear inflate/BC Jacket (I call it a jacket) Seaquest Black Diamond. I found it to be very bulky and not really suited to any one form of diving. It was a lousy travel BC, it wasn't the best regular single tank BC because it was to bulky and had too much lift for single tank diving, and it wasn't something anybody would use for tech diving with doubles even though they said it could be.

I bought an OMS plate and STA and a 35 pound and 60 pound wing (one for singles and one for doubles). I dove both songles and doubles with the OMS for years. Then they came out with smaller single tank wings with slots. Somewhere around that time I created my own plate and gave up the OMS plate, the long hose, the drysuit, and the tech diving (Silly around here. There's nothing to tech dive on or to see that deep)
Now I dive one of my plates, an Oxycheq Mach V wing with single tanks, a custom wetsuit, 2 octo lenght hoses both run under my arm with one bungeed under my neck (got rid of the long hose). I still use jet fins with spring straps, a plain spg, and tables in my head.
So I don't know if people would call that regression or progression. I think of it as moving foreward beyond being stuck in a full tech configuration for all diving.

Would I go back (or over) to a poodle jacket, split fins, a big 'ol console with everything on it, an off the rack suit, ankle weights, big colorful dry snorkel with all the balls and valves, no way.

new to the boards posting yes reading no and diving no ive been diving since i was 12 and now I'm 18 and have logged close to 500 dives

I have both set-ups and switch back and forth, depending on various factors (not least who I have to lend gear to on a particular weekend). I prefer the BP/W, but I am not rabid about it, and am perfectly happy diving in a jacket-style BCD if needs must.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom