• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Has anyone had any luck recovering a flooded GoPro?

Discussion in 'GoPro & Action Cams' started by vytaswashere, Apr 6, 2021.

1. vytaswashere

vytaswashere Registered

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I stupidly took my GoPro Hero 7 Black without the protective housing for a scuba dive and it flooded. It was a very shallow dive and the whole dive I spent at 6-7 meters (20 feet). It flooded after 45 minutes underwater. Annoyingly 5 minutes before we ended the dive.
    Noticed the water inside once I pressed the top button and it didn't feel right. Spent hours with it in the water snorkeling and cliff diving before and never had an issue. Always rinsed it in fresh water after and cleaned any salt build up of the doors.
    The thing is when GoPro says it's waterproof to 10 meters (30 feet), I kind of expect it to be waterproof for at least a few hours. But my guess is they don't know themselves. Does anyone know what their test procedures are?
    Anyway, I tried drying it out and when it didn't work took it apart to clean the motherboard from corosion damage which didn't work either.
    Has anyone managed to recover a flooded GoPro?

Made a video about taking the GoPro apart if anyone is interested:

2. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I flooded a Hero4 on a deep saltwater dive. After getting on the boat, immediately removed battery and soaked well in fresh water, then packed in a bag of rice for a week. The back LCD screen was dead but it otherwise worked. I later sold it cheap to a guy who just wanted to mount it on a drone.

In your case, sounds like some parts were shorted out. Also sounds like you didn't soak and clean right away but let it dry first. I wish you luck but I doubt you'll find it. Upgrade excuse.

vytaswashere likes this.
  3. vytaswashere

vytaswashere Registered

I know, I probably shorted it and it won'w work anymore. next time will know what to actualy do. more curious about other people experience of bringing it back to life after flooding? thanks for the reply

OTF likes this.
  4. Martijn

Martijn Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Mine flooded while in he housing. Got a new one from gopro :)

5. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    vytaswashere likes this.
  6. vytaswashere

vytaswashere Registered

7. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Solo Diver

Flooded mine while in California. Friend I was staying with is an electrical engineer. Gave it to him for an inspection. The phrase "cool, you can see where it was arcing across the traces" was what told me it was done.

8. lamarpaulski

lamarpaulski Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Call GoPro. I’ve found they have great customer service.