Has anyone had Covid and went diving when they were better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I continue to improve health wise I reached out to Texas Health Resources in Dallas where they do diver evaluations. Very enlightening. I spoke with one of the doctors there to understand the recreational diver evaluation. I have to wait at least six months after leaving the hospital for a diver evaluation.

First they rarely if ever use the hyperbaric chamber for a diver evaluation as they don't see a need. They have a whole battery of tests they perform. They evaluate the heart and lungs with a CT Scan. They do echo-cardiogram and stress test to evaluate the heart. They then perform a bunch of breathing and lung capacity tests. Sorry I didn't write down all the technical terms for the tests but it's very thorough.. They also do a complete blood work up. The doc was very helpful. I've already had most of these test done in the past few months on my heart and lungs. He was able to pull my test results. I would have redo the breathing and lung tests. The last time I did them was a month out of the hospital (3-months ago) where my lung capacity was only 60%. By July I'll be ready to retest I hope.

Thought I'd share the information.

As I continue to improve health wise I reached out to Texas Health Resources in Dallas where they do diver evaluations. Very enlightening. I spoke with one of the doctors there to understand the recreational diver evaluation. I have to wait at least six months after leaving the hospital for a diver evaluation.

First they rarely if ever use the hyperbaric chamber for a diver evaluation as they don't see a need. They have a whole battery of tests they perform. They evaluate the heart and lungs with a CT Scan. They do echo-cardiogram and stress test to evaluate the heart. They then perform a bunch of breathing and lung capacity tests. Sorry I didn't write down all the technical terms for the tests but it's very thorough.. They also do a complete blood work up. The doc was very helpful. I've already had most of these test done in the past few months on my heart and lungs. He was able to pull my test results. I would have redo the breathing and lung tests. The last time I did them was a month out of the hospital (3-months ago) where my lung capacity was only 60%. By July I'll be ready to retest I hope.

Thought I'd share the information.

When you say "as I continue to improve", may I ask how you are actually doing at this point in time, unrelated to diving checks.

Overall I'm doing well. I can walk five miles every other day. My new road bike should be done early next week and I'll be on the saddle as soon as it's done. Depending on the wind directions I usually ride 14 or 22 miles a day and 25 to 50 on weekends. This was prior to covid. I'm hoping to start off with 10 mile rides each day and build on that. I've also started going to the gym and lifting.

I've gained all of my weight back to the point I need to lose a few pounds. Lifting, riding and walking will help my strength, lungs and my overall health as well as help me loose the few pounds I need. Once the pond is warm I'll start swimming some.

All of my medical tests have gone well with regards to my heart. My lungs are healthy with minimum scaring due to the Covid Phenomena. The only thing I don't currently know is what my lung capacity is. This won't get tested until June or July.

Overall I'm doing well. I can walk five miles every other day. My new road bike should be done early next week and I'll be on the saddle as soon as it's done. Depending on the wind directions I usually ride 14 or 22 miles a day and 25 to 50 on weekends. This was prior to covid. I'm hoping to start off with 10 mile rides each day and build on that. I've also started going to the gym and lifting.

I've gained all of my weight back to the point I need to lose a few pounds. Lifting, riding and walking will help my strength, lungs and my overall health as well as help me loose the few pounds I need. Once the pond is warm I'll start swimming some.

All of my medical tests have gone well with regards to my heart. My lungs are healthy with minimum scaring due to the Covid Phenomena. The only thing I don't currently know is what my lung capacity is. This won't get tested until June or July.

My gosh, you sound great! Very pleased for you.

Would like to get your thoughts. I received a call this morning from Willow Bend Hyperbaric chamber facility in Plano TX. I'd reached out to half dozen looking to see who does diver evaluations. The doc there reached out to me said they use the hyperbaric chamber for diver evaluations. It's a 60 min session and they take you down to two atmospheres, so 33 feet. The reasoning is if I can withstand two atmospheres I shouldn't have any issues going deeper. Much of what I was taught in my PADI certification many moons ago.

Texas Health Resources in Dallas doesn't use the hyperbaric chamber but uses a whole battery of heart and lung tests to determine if you're ready.

Seeing I've all of the heart and lung tests performed in the past few months. I do need to do an updated lung capacity tests as I was at 60% in early Jan. I'm thinking of doing the lung capacity test and then doing the hyperbaric chamber, though I really wish they go down to 4 atmospheres.

What are your thoughts looking from the outside in?
Thanks

though I really wish they go down to 4 atmospheres
IMO, it's not the going down that's the post-COVID issue, it's the going up. There are plenty of oxygen molecules packed in at 2-4 atmospheres. If you're saturating okay at the surface, and have a good exercise tolerance, you'll sat fine at depth.
But with even mild COVID, "crazy paving" patterns of lung damage are seen on CT.
upload_2021-3-25_8-41-3.png

It's air trapping in those scarred spaces that I'm concerned about post-COVID. Going from 2 to 1 atmosphere is where the stress is, as opposed to going from 4 to 3 ata.

My 2psi.
Diving Doc

In my province, more people have died of covid *this year* than have died of the flu in the *past 20 years* combined.

So no, not like the flu.
Completely agree with your point, but....

Vulnerable populations have been able to get flu shots for decades. If flu and covid were equally dangerous, I'd expect flu deaths to be far lower because vaccines existed.

That said, they're pretty clearly not equal.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to wait until July and see how my exercise and body conditioning is going.

I’m on my last day on Emperor Leo, Emperor Leo Real Time Review, March 21-28, 2021, The Best of Maldives and had a chance to talk to the Cruise Director & one of DM there about recovering from COVID-19 and getting back to diving. Both of them contracted the virus in January with typical symptoms (flu for 9-10 days, loss of taste & smell, feeling weak, etc. during that time).

Recovery took a couple more weeks. All of the symptoms were steadily getting less & less, taste & smell were coming back in 2 weeks. SAC rate is slowly going down to before COVID. They look fine to me now.

Completely agree with your point, but....

Vulnerable populations have been able to get flu shots for decades. If flu and covid were equally dangerous, I'd expect flu deaths to be far lower because vaccines existed.

That said, they're pretty clearly not equal.

I don't believe them to be equally dangerous.

Have you misread or have I misspoke (so to speak)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom