Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just purchased one to be my single tank recreational BCD and converted my BP/W to support twin cylinders. Its a little pricey for a BCD, but fits like a glove and is just as good as my BP/W if not better. The rubber traps stick to you and as a result I do not feel the need for a crotch strap. The quality is excellent and inital adjustment is super simple compared to the setting up a BP/W for the first time.

My wife just switched to a Hydros from a BP/W. She was never quite comfortable with the plate no matter how much we adjusted it. She loves her Hydros though.

I finally got around to taking my Hydros into the shop on Saturday. The owner (who is also the head service person) and I went through every Hydros they had in stock including a couple they just got in last week and could not find one with the "new" bungee system. We talked about it for a bit and concluded that it was unlikely SP would "update" a BC if they were still shipping products without that update. So it did not go in. Shop owner said he would ask Scubapro about it at DEMA and I will check with him after.

So, really, no answer. As I mentioned early on, this is not a big deal to me as the thing is pretty much empty unless I am on the surface waiting to get on a boat. If I learn something new I will add it here.

If you are referring to what I posted; it will be at least a couple weeks before I can get the BC to the shop, and I expect it will take at least 2-3 weeks for them to get it to SP and back again, so I don't expect to know what SP will do until sometime in October or maybe November. Or, perhaps the shop will call SP and be told not to even send it, and then I may know something in a few weeks.

@jd950 Thanks for the update!

I finally got around to taking my Hydros into the shop on Saturday. The owner (who is also the head service person) and I went through every Hydros they had in stock including a couple they just got in last week and could not find one with the "new" bungee system. We talked about it for a bit and concluded that it was unlikely SP would "update" a BC if they were still shipping products without that update. So it did not go in. Shop owner said he would ask Scubapro about it at DEMA and I will check with him after.

So, really, no answer. As I mentioned early on, this is not a big deal to me as the thing is pretty much empty unless I am on the surface waiting to get on a boat. If I learn something new I will add it here.

The information I received from Scubapro is that there is a modification to the Hydros where the bungees will have limited "slide" compared to existing models. The bungee modification is being made to Hydros Pros at time of manufacture. It is not considered a defect that requires models currently in stock (Dealer or Scubapro) to be modified.

Let’s see what SP have at DEMA next week.

Reactions: Jay
Let’s see what SP have at DEMA next week.

As a prospective Hydros buyer, I'm curious if there are any updates on these issues. What should I be looking for when I go into my LDS to be sure I'm buying a updated BCD?

They're still sending old BCDs to dive stores. Check the bungees - make sure they have been modified. They were still displaying old ones at DEMA. Open the right rear trim pocket and check date of manufacture. Anything older than six months is likely to be unmodified old stock. Remember that this is a voluntary fix - not a recall so SP will sell on a FIFO basis.

Thx, tridacna. I'm planning on shelling out big bucks for two of these rigs, the wife and me, so I'm really concerned about ending up with two pricy (overpriced?) BC's that have to back to the vendor for fixes. Is the design risk worth the increased comfort level? I was looking at the Knighthawk/Ladyhawk for us before I found the Hydros and I am now leaning back in that direction. We trained on the Knighthawk/Ladyhawk BC's yeas ago and they were great rigs. I can buy both of those for the price of one Hydros.

Personally, I would stick with the Hawks. Hydros is lighter but not worth two Hawks. You won’t regret it. Knighthawk and Ladyhawk are outstanding BCs. Never heard anyone complain about either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom