Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also - when I brought it into my LDS the owner let loose and started railing against the Hydros and all the problems they see. This is the guy responsible for importing all ScubaPro gear to Thailand. Amazing.

@travlbum ,

Sorry to hear about all the problems. I'm curious about the backpad disconnecting from the backplate. Any chance you can include some pictures?

Also, what did SP say about warranty repair, if anything?

Thanks,

My experience with the Hydros Pro BCD has been a nightmare. I have a size small and the bladder, in and out of water, migrates (almost completely) to the left side and rotates me onto my right side when in the water. Putting trim weights in makes this a whole lot worse. On one trip I ended up putting 2 extra pounds on my left side (both trim and front pockets) which evened everything out perfectly. On the last trip the weights were taken out of the BCD for each dive as we were taking skiffs out to the dive sites. So obviously the weights were never put back into the correct pockets before my dives. I ended up taking the trim weights out and using minimal weights in the front pockets. And by arranging the bladder evenly on both sides before every dive I managed to get through the trip without too much more hassle. However, I DO NOT RECOMMEND this BCD to anyone! I don't know how old mine is, but when I sent it back to get the fix, they sent it back to me stating that the fix will be available in 2 months and that it would cost me. A crappy BCD and poor service to boot.

I'm getting another brand, looking at a Zeagle, but I'm really open to anything right now, just don't want another Scuba Pro.

I have dived a Scubapro Knighthawk since 2006. The wing is secure and does not move, they invented this just for the Hydros Pro

@scubadada, do you mean the FIX that is coming for the Hydros Pro is what they have always used on the Knighthawk? I have had such a bad experience with this BCD that I can't imagine an after market fix will totally get rid of the buoyancy issues.

@scubadada, do you mean the FIX that is coming for the Hydros Pro is what they have always used on the Knighthawk? I have had such a bad experience with this BCD that I can't imagine an after market fix will totally get rid of the buoyancy issues.
The wing on the Knighthawk has always been secure and does not move like it does on the Hydros Pro. I have no idea of what the fix for the Hydros Pro is. The numerous broken attachments and the mobile wing led me to not consider the Hydros Pro. Who knows, maybe all the defects will be fixed at some point?

Yeah, maybe on revision 20. They are currently on revision 3. I have to look up my serial number to determine what rev I'm at. You were smart not to take the chance. That's an expensive mistake I made.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with yours. The one my LDS ended up getting me wasn't new stock (manufactured in 2017) and they insisted their supplier knew nothing about there being different revisions.

I had low expectations, but I used it last month on vacation in warm water and I had zero issues over 10 dives. I did add a cheap 1" crotch strap to prevent it from riding up, and had minimal air in the wing. While on vacation the dive shop manager showed me her 1st gen Hydros which had the infamous broken strap problem. My 2nd gen straps have a plastic reinforcement piece at the top that was missing from the earlier version.

All things considered though, it's a purchase I somewhat regret. It worked very well, it packs small, and dries quickly. But it's also extremely expensive, and has a lot of the features don't really make sense (including the oversized 40lb wing, an amount of lift which I've since learned people comfortably use for double AL80s). I ended up getting a used BP&W setup afterwards which was much cheaper and seems way more versatile, repairable, and durable, if less adjustable on the fly. I'm still new to the sport and equipment, so it's a bit of a learning curve to figure out what makes sense and what's marketing fluff.

Yeah, I know what you mean trying to figure out what works best. I don't want to buy something now without trying it out in a pool first. I've been reading about BP&W just a little nervous about them, so was thinking of a back inflate BC. Was considering the LadyHawk until I found out how crappy Scubapro's support was on the Hydros. It was basically "suck it up buttercup"....if you want to have OUR engineering flaws fixed you have to pay....

@DiveDay Did you ever dive the Hydros without a crotch strap? I'm asking because I'm curious if you did and you actually experienced a problem with it riding up? I don't have a crotch strap on mine. The back pad/plate material is so grippy that I have never experienced it riding up on me. That's one of the things that I like about it - once I put it on and tighten up the straps it doesn't move.

I agree that the Hydros is ridiculously expensive and I would not pay full price for one myself. But, the price decision is a personal choice, so I don't put my value decisions on anyone else.

But...

I have a Hydros Pro. I got it at shop employee price and for the purpose of using it when I teach OW classes.

Before that, I had only ever owned BP/W setups. And only used BP/W since I completed my original OW training. If anything, I was biased FOR BP/W and against any kind of integrated BCD.

I like the Hydros better than any BP/W I have used, except for my rig that has a Freedom Contour back plate.

I think the Hydros is more versatile than any single BP/W rig. The air cell has enough lift to use even in cold water, but the bungee setup keeps it nice and streamlined when it's warm water and minimal lift is needed. It has big weight pockets if you need them, but it comes with the "travel waist belt" that is just as streamlined as a BP/W harness, if you don't want or need those big weight pockets. Also, it "fits" to a 1.5mm wetsuit and a drysuit with thick undergarments with basically no messing around. Changing from thin wetsuit to thick drysuit with a BP/W rig is much more involved (to do so and have it really fit right). The way the Hydros can go from warm water to cold water so quickly and easily (compared to a BP/W) is why I feel like it is more versatile. No need to change wings. No hassling with changing straps to fit. No worries about being overweighted (as you might have if you're using a stainless steel BP and a steel tank while diving in really warm water). It pretty much handles any kind of single tank diving easily. More easily than a BP/W and with better streamlining than if you were using most any cold water wing (i.e. high lift) in warm water.

I think the Hydros is more comfortable than any BP/W rig (except the Freedom Contour). It conforms and grips my back like no conventional BP.

I think the Hydros is more stable than any BP/W rig (except the Freedom Contour). The Hydros and the Freedom Contour plate are the only rigs I have used where I don't feel my tank shifting from side to side at all, even if I roll completely on my side and then back to horizontal/face down. A conventional BP/W does allow a little bit of side to side shifting of the tank(s).

I reported the issue with the Hydros air cell shifting from side to side here on SB before I had ever seen any other report on it. Yes, it happens. For MY experience, it has never been a problem at all. When I notice that I'm tilting, I reach back and pull the wing back over, so it's centered.

I'm pretty sure I could "fix" it in about 10 minutes, with some well-placed zip ties on the wing bungies. But, it has never been bothersome enough for me to even bother doing that.

I have picked my fully assembled Hydros rig up by one shoulder strap numerous times while it was holding an HP100 (steel) cylinder - from the ground and onto my back. I haven't had anything break yet. However, my understanding is that people who have had shoulder straps break have been taken care of without hassle by ScubaPro. But, maybe I haven't had a problem because I don't normally need any weight with mine, so I haven't been picking it up with a tank plus a bunch of lead in/on it.

I do agree that a BP/W is more durable and more likely to be field repairable.

If I were paying full price and spending my own money, I would buy a BP/W. But, that's because I'm cheap. I think the Hydros is NICER, for single tank diving. Just not nice enough that I personally would spend that much extra money. And, it's not nicer (in my opinion) than a Freedom Contour Plate with a VDH 35# wing for cold water plus a VDH 18 or 23# wing for warm water - but, with all that, you'd end up spending about the same money as buying a Hydros.

If I were starting from scratch and paying full price I would buy either a Blue Reef Stainless Steel BP from LeisurePro, for $70, or the Freedom Contour Plate from @Eric Sedletzky, here on SB. Which one would depend on my budget. BR plate for a low budget setup that works just fine. Or more, for the Cadillac of BPs - the FC. And then, either a VDH 35# wing, if I was ever going to dive in cold water, or a VDH 18 or 23# wing if I were only planning to dive in warm water. $100 or so for some 2" webbing, hardware, tank straps, buckle, trim weight pockets, and a crotch strap, and you're in business. Call it $420 or so for a complete setup (with the BR BP). $600-ish for a setup with one wing and a FC plate. $850-ish for a FC plate and 2 wings (for warm and cold water).

I do actually have all of the above, which I did spend my own money on (and not at "shop employee" price, either). BR BP, FC BP, VDH 35# wing, HOG 23# wing, plus several other BP and wings. So, I'm not just saying what I would do in a theoretical sense. I have put my money where my mouth is. :)

Some people would rather have just one integrated BCD (like the Hydros). Others would rather have a BP/W setup with "the right wing" for the water they're diving in. When you're comparing what are (to ME) the absolute best, nicest examples of each, and the choices are both in the $800 - 900 range, it's really just down to personal preference at that point.

If you're looking for a BCD and not in a hurry, Atomic is supposed to be coming out with a back-inflate BCD called the BC2 sometime this year... That will probably be really nice. And make the Hydros seem very reasonably priced... LOL

Back
Top Bottom