Has anyone tried the DGX Sharp Cut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is ceramic, so it won't rust. Now will it become brittle over time? That's what I'm curious about.

Ceramic is brittle from the moment it is made and won't become more brittle. It is very hard and with high hardness comes brittleness.

Often the ceramic cutting edge is a larger inclusive angle (a typical steel blade edge might be a total of 40 degrees) in the 50-60 degree range. It makes them less sharp, in terms of how easily they slice, but a very long lasting edge. The increased angle is needed to stop the brittle edge flaking.

At my local site some fisherman dumped some net approx 12 meters top to bottom and about 60 meters plus in length, have spent the last two dives trying to remove it as its killing our eels, lobsters, crabs and fish, to my point, I've broken two trilobites in 4 days in exactly the same spot. They might be ok for a little line but heavy duty they don't seem to be. I'm only cutting line and rope which is less than a CM in diameter. A little disappointed. I'm going to order these DGX cutters and see how well they hold up.

Good on you for clearing up their mess.

My experience with line cutters like the Trilobite is that they are fine for occasional light duty cutting, but if you have a cutting job to do (which you do) then you need proper tools for the job. Certainly shears of some type will be the way to go, with a good serrated knife for any larger rope that needs cutting.

I like Trilobite but will replace my other rusty DR cutter with this DGX version. $18.00? I can live with that.

Cheers.

I've ordered 3 to replace my one as yet unbroken but am sure it will break in Sunday when we attempt to clean up the rest of the net, and the two broken ones. There is a lot of discarded line at my local so will no doubt get a chance to use them shortly after receiving them. I'll post back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom