Has anyone tried the Liquid Image camera/mask unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to fumble around with a camera (i concentrate on looking at stuff, and not drowning
Excellent logic for not diving with a camera for a while more. I know you want to have & share your shot from your trip, but just get a swim housing for your regular camera and shoot on the boat, maybe snorkeling. Mostly get better at diving first.

I didn't carry one until I had almost a hundred dives, and it still causes me distraction problems. Some have been bad. Not the sort of challenges I'd want a newbie taking on.

The original mask was only rated for 15 feet of depth so they did not sell well. Basically a snorkel novelty that cost way more than a disposable water proof snorkel camera.

I did look at the companies web site and I see they have extended the depth rating to 115 feet. It is still a rather bulky mask and any serious diver will probably get annoyed with the extra weigh of the mask. Otherwise it looks like a cool invention. Give it a try and report back to the board.

Also it is a $300 scuba mask that may or may not fit your face. I would have to try one at the local dive shop in their pool before I would buy one myself.

I had one rated to 35' and it was "ok".. I used sealer to keep the mask from shifting too much because it didn't fit well. It was fine for "vacation" shots and clear water. It would be great to try one on first.

$300 sounds like a lot.. but the second option can cost much more. Most vacation destination have a guide/DM that brings his still and or video camera under with him. Make sure you let them know you'd like a copy of the stuff they shoot and they'll take LOTS of you and your buddy. They will burn you a disk for a fee. Beleive it or not.. after a few days you'll have banked buck by investing the $300 up front.

My suggestion.. don't take a hand held camera diving quite yet, get your skills and experience tuned up first. As much of a photo maniac as I am... too many vacations end with funerals. No picture is worth that!

Best place to buy Liquid Image Camera Masks:
DivemasterSupply.com-Cameras
I've been a diving photographer only as a hobby (fun for me). I am getting tired of carrying around a camera unit. I often just leave it on the boat due to wanting to dive unencumbered. I always tow a flag, so adding a camera puts extra task loading on my dive. I plan to buy the Camera Mask so I can have the convenience of a camera always with me without the hassle of extra gear to drag around. Seems like a good compromise. Also, the Scuba Series has been re-rated to 130ft.

Seen someone actually trying to use one of these, he said the biggest downfall was that it looked like crap in cold water, and you need to be very careful about panning your head, otherwise you end up with very nauseating videos.

You're probably better off avoiding the marketing attempts here and getting decent camera + housing instead of a finnicky mask you can't aim properly.

I ordered 1 after DEMA, and use it in Instructor level training as a supplement for candidates after we run their debriefs from Open Water training. You need to pan carefully at the surface, but it's been a handy training aid.

I also used on a recent cave diving trip in Mexico as I wanted a hands free and I got some nice footage. I'm not a experienced videographer, but this gives some nice souvenirs, I plan on using it in Galapagos in August as well, whilst on rebreather to see how closer I'm getting to the aquatic life down there.

HTH.

Regards,
Andy

I have one and love it. I'm actually looking to upgrade from the HD mask I have to the WIDE ANGLE one they are putting out soon.

Here are a few video's I posted that I made with my Liquid Image HD Video mask. Make sure to change the video setting on youtube to watch them in 720p (HD).
They are on my youtube page: www.youtube.com/mbender104

I just bought a nice u/w camera kit - Sea Life DC1200 Elite. *But* before I decided to make that leap, I actually looked at this mask and tried it on in my LDS... thinking it would be a cheaper option. Wrong.

The mask, when you're holding it and looking at it, will remind you of a very cheap kid's toy. It did not seal well around my face, and I felt very awkward wearing it. The second I started looking at this thing, I automatically did not trust it.

My advice... buy a cheap digital camera and get an underwater housing for it. That should run you a few hundred dollars. Or, I HAVE seen a couple shops that rent good cameras. You could look into that.

In any event, good luck. :)

There are a couple of options for "hands free shooting" without the mask toy thing.
One is the Go Pro HD with the helmet cam mount. The other is to mount a point and shoot to a helmet. I heard of one fellow who mounted his camera to his tank and got some great footage (although I do not know how you would do this). Good Luck.
Get Wet!

Back
Top Bottom