Has anyone tried these lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know any information about this flashlight, but I have bought a Xeccon D1 on ebay three months ago. I t's pretty good, maybe it is the right thing you are looking for.

There are two things I noticed in the listing.

First, they didn't give us a burn time for the batteries. Second, one photo seemed to show sleeves for the 18650 batteries. I strongly suspect the light was designed to use 32650 batteries.

18650's are easy and cheap to buy online and 32650 are very hard to find.

I have two lights from China with Cree imitators. Pretty happy with both of them. If you can pick one up in the $60-70 range with shipping, I think it's worth a shot.

Edit: the listing didn't include either the batteries or the charger. Off the top of my head, call it another $20-25 for the 18650 batteries and charger. Good luck finding a charger for the 32650 batteries.

I have a pair of 18650's and charger that came with my "ugly" light.

True about the burn time though, good point.

I was just curious since there are tons of them on ebay, and some are quite inexpensive.

looks attrative. If it burns for 2 hours, it is good enought for recreation dives. If you happen to try one, let us know how it turns out.

I bought a different light with the same T6 emitter and two 18650 batteries. At $25, why not give it a shot. 1200 CREE XML T6 LED Waterproof Diving Flashlight Torch | eBay

Great bright light, quality construction, a positive feeling switch and small enough to fit into my bc pocket (about the same length as a UK SL6).

After a little bit over 35 minutes, it started to "strobe". Way too short a burn time for a primary light, but just enough for a backup light to get you out of trouble.

What ever factory is pumping out all of the led lights from China, they seem to be getting a lot of the bugs worked out. First, they front bezel seal problems seem to be a thing of the past. Second, they seem to be shifting away from the magnetic ring switches to a more positive feel switch. For the price, they are some really outstanding lights. When they work out the burn time issue, I would not want to own stock in Ikelight, Princeton, or Underwater Kinetics.

I've been lucky with the Chinese lights. I think the XTRAR lights are great, and Pop-lite are good too. I too think the expensive lights are doomed.

Adam

I bought a different light with the same T6 emitter and two 18650 batteries. At $25, why not give it a shot. 1200 CREE XML T6 LED Waterproof Diving Flashlight Torch | eBay

Great bright light, quality construction, a positive feeling switch and small enough to fit into my bc pocket (about the same length as a UK SL6).

After a little bit over 35 minutes, it started to "strobe". Way too short a burn time for a primary light, but just enough for a backup light to get you out of trouble.

What ever factory is pumping out all of the led lights from China, they seem to be getting a lot of the bugs worked out. First, they front bezel seal problems seem to be a thing of the past. Second, they seem to be shifting away from the magnetic ring switches to a more positive feel switch. For the price, they are some really outstanding lights. When they work out the burn time issue, I would not want to own stock in Ikelight, Princeton, or Underwater Kinetics.
Is it a sliding switch? If so, is it magnetic? Not sure how they could seal that with a o-ring. And does it have variable brightness?

I think they are just waterproofing their $10-$20 megalumen lights instead of redesigning a new one, that's why you have flashlights with $10 premium vs $60-$80 of more purposely designed diving lights that are also made in china.

35 minutes? That kills the deal... Not long enough burn time to be a primary light, and for a backup light you'd still be better off with a longer burn time just in case you were stuck on the surface or something like that. (I prefer AAs cells for backups due to long shelf life but that's another discussion.)

If it could do an hour, even at a somewhat reduced output, then it would be a lot more useful.

Hatul, could you post links to the lights you have had good luck with?

I'm going on a tropical trip next year and I hope to have by then a pair of cheap, bright, small lights like this one. My first foray into cheap Chinese lights was a disaster, with 4 lights in a row going bad, and back to the seller... but I haven't given up on the dream.

Not even the possibility of setting the light to reduced output for closeup situations or just signalling in general?

I was looking at some made in china lights or get the 1300 lumen upgrade for UK SL4 from some board member for my trip. The chinese lights looks much better valued, but I don't want a primary die after one or two dives and be diving with a incandescent backup the whole trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom