Has anyone used these off brand housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy it and dive it without the camera inside, but put a couple squares of that moisture sensing paper in to detect any leaks. If it works okay while empty it should work okay with the camera.

Definitely don't use tissue paper. It makes a mess if there is a leak.

Been there, unfortunately...

I suspect they all come out of the same factory as (without doing any investigation) they all look very similar.. Would not put a new EM1- 2 into one but for an older or cheaper camera they sound OK to me.

Following this thread I have wondered about buying one and having it set up for wide angle ie having my macro camera and wide angle available in seperate housings. My thinking is that as I normally do a double dive on my trips, then I would have both set ups and all I would have to do is swap the flashes over if the site offered any interesting CF wide angle stuff. Have not done a lot of evaluation on this yet but just starting to ponder it.

I use a Meikon/Sea Frogs housing with their dome port on my EM5 mkII. This was after discussion in this thread and although I wish I could afford the Nauticam but I'm currently prioritizing replacing my vid lights with strobes. So I use a 12-40 f/2.8 and have to set the focal length before the dive because there isn't any zoom ring functionality. 25 mm (50mm ff) usually works pretty well for me where I dive. I dragged it out to 100' in a few back to back dives and found that at ~75' the shutter button has trouble coming back up quickly on its own.

The leak sensor is nice; a new feature to me. The controls are easy to use if gloveless yet tricky with 3mm gloves. I chopped the tips off my right hand glove and it's much better. Ergonomically I like the button placement more than the Oly PT EP13. I do wish there was a vacuum valve but again, you get what you pay for. I also like that there's two o rings. One on the female side of the case and another on the male. I don't know if it actually helps but it's nice to see.

I'm using a Meikon housing for my Sony a5100 camera and after 70 dives without the slightest problem I can tell I'm very happy with it.
Now that I'm thinking about it: every time I am about to close the case I clean and inspect the o rings - ALWAYS. After 10 or so dives I fount the original oring a bit chipped. The kit came with a spare and I had it with me, so no worries. Now I've changed the original soft O rings with slightly harder ones and I haven't got any other issues with it.

any chance to get some colour filter for this Polaroid housing for sony nex?
the housing lens outer diameter is 86mm, the inner one is 65mm.
I would like to find a removable filter to put outside of the housing, and not inside on the camera lens.

any tips?
thanks

inner one is 65mm.
Are you sure sure it is 65 and not 67mm? M67 is a very common "standard" diameter and there are numerous accessories for it including filters, lenses etc

I went in another direction and never ordered it. I am too busy with above water projects, which is a good thing. I will be interested to know how it works. Keep us in the loop, especially on the Ikelite leak detector.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom