Has this happened to you in Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, you insulted me buy implying I don't know what I am doing! Next you weren't at DEMA, privy to conversations, or the policy of the Resort! Next if you go places that charge you extra for being by yourself good for you, but the example you posted is up front and clear, as apposed to Julie who never not once said the package price did not apply to me! Next my friends did not get the package price as well and were charged extra for diving and the are a couple! So how do you answer that????!!! You seem to want to defend an indefensible position! What about the unauthorized charging of their card! I mean it if you can't read the web site, then it is no insult just fact that you need a class in comprehension!

Look this is simple five of us booked for a minimum of one week of diving! Two couples and a single! We booked the "Dive Packages" and one would think that is the time to say "Hey your single has to pay a premium rate", but nothing was said! Next I have been all over the world and yes for Dive operations they do provide shares! I just left Beqa Lagoon where I had a roommate! I have been on many Aggressor Boats where I shared a room with a stranger! Every page of a web site makes the whole of that site! Yes if it is one place it is there! What "Don't look behind the curtain"!!!! BS, You still can't account for the support of the manager! So we didn't get the DEMA special, We didn't get what was on the web site (All pages) and Julie is the problem!

You should come clean, you must have a relationship with her? You post as if you have personal knowledge? You defend the indefensible, and look for the loopholes and not the spirit of the "Dive Package" concept! I have never paid 1/2 price of a published rate, but I have never paid extra because of so wired logic that one is 1-1/2 to two times more expensive! If a resort or hotel stated that rate policy I would look for another and in today's economic atmosphere it would be suicide for most Dive operations!

Look, what would be wrong with disclosure up front? Why does the site offer dive packages to singles at the same rate? Why if your going to do this wouldn't you say "NO SINGLE DIVE PACKAGE" or "SINGLES PAY DAILY RACK RATE" Why because they would lose business! As I said in the State of California we have consumer laws that state you pay the 1/2 rate of two for one specials! This still does not address why my friends didn't get the "Dive package deal" and makes me wonder what we stepped into with this lets make a deal attitude! You and Julie are wrong!

Thanks for your post PapaBear! It has been very interesting reading.

We have a group going to that very place this fall diving with that same operator. I'll be sure to pass along this story so they can be on the lookout for any extra charges. Here is the deal our shop is advertising.

The price is $2795 (US Dollars) I assume this is based on DO. I think this is the deal they got at a DEMA show.

Package includes: Round trip airfare from LAX to Nadi, Fiji, Airport/hotel transfers in Fiji, 7 nights at the Wananavu Beach Resort in an Oceanview Bure, includes 3 meals daily and 5 days of 2 tank dives with the Kai Viti Divers, I day room at the Tokatoka Resort in a Villa Studio, and taxes/service excluding departure taxes.
Additional Expenses: Airfare from Durham to LAX, departure tax, and all gratuities.

Sounds right and you will love it! The Dive Boys and diving are great! The resort is Wananavu (Wonderful in Fijian) and the rooms are great! You shouldn't have any problems with prepaid packages! Less opportunity to screw things up and the money is set! Watch any extra dive days or extra charges! If it is A DEMA deal make sure you get the free 3rd tank and the massage time promised! I already was in Fiji and did it to check out the resort and dive ops! Guess I found out more than she expected! The diving with RA divers is in the same places (sites), but smaller boats, also less expensive!

If you have or sell singles get the price up front!

I'll be sure to check on the extras you have talked about.

You know it would be one thing if the resort/dive operator had been booked to capacity while you were there and would be losing money by you having a room to yourself and not having two people paying, but with the resort having so many vacancies, you'd think the lady would have been glad for the business and not left anyone with a sour taste in their mouths for the future. Some people just have no business being in business.

Sadly enough, many people would have just rolled over and played dead and paid the extra.

This is my last volly; Your statement/info in Red:

"Please someone please help me try to understand if I am not getting ripped off?"
Is this or isn't this YOUR statement? And at no time did I imply you didn't know what you were doing.

the example you posted is up front and clear, as apposed to Julie who never not once said the package price did not apply to me![

Just because she didn't specifically state that it didn't apply to you doesn't mean it doesn't; The web site clearly states twin sharing, and everyone knows what this is except you. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/270205-question-regarding-twin-sharing-dive-package.html

You are right. I wasn't at DEMA and do not know what was said. BUT, I do know enough to get things in writing or confirmed by email.

7 night all inclusive without diving $1,381 pp x 2 = $2,762

They paid $3,175.43 on their credit card

A diffidence of $413 due to exchange rate variance at the time the credit card was processed by the bank.

Below is the diving that was provided to the Bowers:

2 x 5 days of 2tank dive @ $197pp/day = $1,970.00

Cynthia- 2Extra 3rd tanks @ $75.00 pp/day = $150.00

Doug 3extra 3rd tank @$75pp/day =$225.00

Total Bill for them $2,345.00 based on our current shop and published rates

After reviewing this account it appears as though the Fiji office had taken the total, thinking it was for 1 diver and doubled it. The actual balance that is owed by the Bowers is $2,345 FJD. I do apologize for this error.

To review then:

WBR rates on their web site for 7/5 dive package is $2,421 pp based on dbl occupancy x 2 = $4,842

$4,842 - $3,175 pd = $1,667 owing.

There is a difference of $678 FJD that takes into consideration the $413 variance from the exchange rate, leaving $265 that remains for the difference in dive rate on WBR web site for packages.

You have yet to address the issue of you being a single and what is clearly stated on both our published rates as well as WananavuÃÔ web site that all package rates are based on double occupancy.

According to the above email that you provided, she is giving the bowers the 7/10 package rate.

You should come clean, you must have a relationship with her? You post as if you have personal knowledge?

Another unfounded acusation. I don't know Julie other than I dove with them and stayed at Wannanavu.

You still can't account for the support of the manager!

I haven't seen any proof from you either; No emails or letters from Ben stating that you are right and Julie is not. Just an email stating he's sorry for the problems.

Why does the site offer dive packages to singles at the same rate?:confused:

Have NO idea what you are talking about hear..

As I said in the State of California we have consumer laws that state you pay the 1/2 rate of two for one specials!

Your NOT in California.

I'm done with this. As one person stated; "never aurgue with an idiot; they just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".

I was really hoping to have seen a post from Julie before I reached the end. I too would be upset.....I hope you get it solved to your liking. I will definitely check back to see if she responds although even if she logged in, I doubt she will.

I do want someone to explain how 2+2 is 5 and it can't be done! As has been stated this is no way to run a business! Pick your fights wisely!

Here is email from Ben:
To: medicinewoman1@msn.com
Subject: RE: Charges
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:04:31 +1200

Bula Cynthia,
I am so sorry for the continuing confusion on this.
From our (Wananavu) records we only deducted the FJD$2790 and the FJD$605.30 from your card. We have no record of deducting any other amount.
I am talking with Kai Viti at the moment to clarify what they have charged.
In the meantime is it possible to let me know the exact amounts and dates and accounts according to your credit card statement so we can ascertain by whom and why this extra was deducted.
Many thanks,
Ben

Ben Plummer

General Manager
wananavu beach resort
PO Box 305, Rakiraki, Fiji Islands
T: +679 6694 433
F: +679 6694 499
E: wananavuben@connect.com.fj
W: Wananavu Beach Resort Accommodation Fiji

Email him and ask for yourself!

Then:
To: medicinewoman1@msn.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 15:58:56 +1200

Bula Cynthia,
So Sorry to hear about this on-going saga but thank you for keeping us informed.
Yes I did receive both emails and I will pass them onto to anyone pertinent.
Just fyi the Dive shop is closed this week so I am presuming the transaction was attempted in the States.
Is there anything we can do at this end to assist?
Take care,
Ben & Rachel

Ben Plummer
General Manager

wananavu beach resort

PO Box 305, Rakiraki, Fiji Islands
T: +679 6694 433
F: +679 6694 499
E: wananavuben@connect.com.fj
W: Wananavu Beach Resort Accommodation Fiji

To: wananavuben@connect.com.fj
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:03:58 -0700

Dear Ben,
There is nothing for me , but Tony Wiley may need your help. Fortunately, my credit card co. caught it in time. We still plan to come next year and I have referred several people to your resort. I will keep in touch. Give my best to Rachael and all your Fijian staff.

Cynthia Bower

Sounds like he is trying to help?!!!

Julie admitted she hasn't "Bothered to talk to Ben" she has been too busy! Well, not to busy to charge the Bowers card or keep calling whining about the money!

I don't mind the other side being offered, but please be aware of the facts first! The point of this is putting light where it seems it has not shined before! To make people aware that they should know and to hold unscrupulous operators feet to the fire! Publish what you mean and mean what you publish!

PB, other than the extras dives why are you dealing with the dive shop (other than they are trying to do unauthorized charges)? Seems to me that Kai Viti Divers beef is with Wananavu. Did the resort say pay us X and Kai Viti Y. OR did the booking go through Kai Viti?

As for the single/double. Here again why does the Kai Viti Divers care? The dives are based on a per person basis, it is only the room that matters and if Wananavu said no problems and you were paying them, I too would say sod off.

BTW I certainly see the single/double dilemma. Typically there is a supplement if you are a single and do not share. But if you are willing to share then it should be made clear who is responsible for finding the second. And what happens if a second is not located.

That is part of the Problem! I looked up Wananavu on the Web and priced it that way last summer! Then we went to DEMA and ran into Julie and we all believed she was the Owner of both by her conversation! Then she looked up in her book and said that they had room! So we thought we were booking with the Resort/dive operation as one.... Then the resort was the ones who charged us at the desk, but the diving was to be paid at the dive shop according to the dive shop once we arrived! I started getting bad vibes at the way it was handled the first week in Fiji at Beqa when we called Julie and were being charged different amounts, but felt we would work it out once we were on sight! We went to the Manager and found out there was no connection between them and the dive operation other than being on site! My question was then what was the dive shop doing our reservations???!!! Why wasn't that turned over to the resort! The Resort is having problems with her and she wants the lions share, but that's between her and the resort! I was just left with a bad feeling even when everyone there was saying it will be worked out! My friends were a couple and they still tried to charge separately for diving! So even if you forget me and the single issue, what about the package for the couples? It just stinks and she would rather have this here than call and clear it up! She calls Tony and rambles about exchange rates and why we should have expected the dive part of the package to be included! Really I don't know what her problem is and think she is in over her head! Now she is tell us she never told us she lived in Fiji for 12 years and "Built the Operation" over that time! I knew the fellow that owned Crystal Divers, the boats she now has, and that is why we thought she was talking about the resort! Too much misleading rhetoric in an attempt to sell Dive packages, in my opinion she was looking to make an extra buck because her big boat fried its engine and maybe out of service for more than a year and with the economy she is desperate! That is the only thing that explains her behavior! The Resort has limited control over the dive op as we found out! To answer your question, we thought we were dealing with the resort and was dealing with Julie!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom