Haskel wall mounting position?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a878bob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm going to be putting my haskel up on the wall to get it out of the way, I thought I saw there was a preferred orientation. Being vertical with the outlets pointing down.

Can anyone confirm?

the haskel technically doesn't care.
Normally you see them mounted horizontally, whether that's dive shops or industrial applications. Nothing from the manuals about mounting orientation, so will be curious to see if there is something in writing from them.

@a878bob There's no oil or lubrication sump so I'm not sure why you think the orientation matters?

I'm going to be putting my haskel up on the wall to get it out of the way, I thought I saw there was a preferred orientation. Being vertical with the outlets pointing down.

Can anyone confirm?

Yes if its not a problem: PUDD
Piston drive Up. Driven gas Down and out

In general the answer is for a non condensing gas wall mounting piston up vertical.
But for a scuba application its not that important so mount it as you feel.
The reasons why are way too complicated for an open forum but general principles apply.

Condensing and non condensing gases are obvious but a couple of lesser known considerations
are piston slap or sag, and torsional load flexing.
The Haskel I have assumed is the small single stage sports version it has a very large piston (4 inch) for a very long stroke 2.5: inches) for its small size.

Air gas driven the 4 inch piston will flex during compression and to compensate Haskel increase the piston rod larger in diameter to reduce side load on the seal rings and rider ring that would create uneven wear (called washboarding)

The Haskel also is driven back to front that is it is driven piston down to rod rather than rod up to piston. Now also the weight of the piston causes sagging when left extended in a horizontal plane and although this is compensated by using a light weight piston on a thicker rod. The long stroke length to piston diameter ratio will also cause additional distortion on the concentricity (roundness) of the soft polymer seals and 0-rings. When idle as well as during the compression stroke.

Hence why located or left dormant or running in a vertical plane you achieve minimum sag and minimum ring seal distortion.

To the average sports diver you don’t have enough experience with the product or see enough of them to see the difference and for most sports divers they are used so little and for such a short life expectancy it is of little interest or matter.

Seals will wear regardless over time you just get a little longer life if you don’t wear one side out more than the other. Iain

Now that's a boss answer, how do you know that in such detail?

Now that's a boss answer, how do you know that in such detail?

God grants wisdom just for the asking, but knowledge you have to earn that for yourself.

Besides when you get paid to create pure nitrogen gas from dirty ships air and compress it to 10,000 psi, then push it down an umbilical to a well head 39,842 feet underwater and pressurise that to 3000 psi over bottom pressure for a live leak test with 120 men waiting for you hurry up and finish the job without blowing everyone and everything else off the deck for a $2 billion dollar platform you kind of know what to do or you don’t I guess. Praying with your eyes open also helps.

I'm not listening to tbone ever again!

I'm not listening to tbone ever again!

On this, anything @iain/hsm says about pumps, trumps pretty much everyone on this board because he designs these things.

The reason I answered the way I did was because if the mounting orientation was critical, then there would be something in the manuals about it. Haskel sells boosters in horizontal configuration, so technically, it really doesn't care or they would sell their full kits in vertical orientation. I did answer the way I did because theoretically it should be vertical. For the same reason that scuba tanks are technically better off stored vertically. The difference in longevity may be itty bitty, but it's still there which is why Iain answered the way he did.
I have 500hp behemoth compressors that I would surely rather have mounted vertically, but it's completely impractical, so we deal with having lopsided wear on them and have a bit more frequent rebuild cycle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom