Haskell Booster Drive Gas alternatives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
Wanted to ask what people use for drive gas for their Haskell's? I am currently using a scuba tank, hooked up w/ a low pressure hose. It works, but depending on what I am boosting, it can use up the air, then I am having to re-fill the tank, etc. etc.

I hear that you can use an air compressor as well for drive gas. Is this the case? does the air need filtered? or is it best to just keep using air from a scuba tank for drive gas.

just looking for different options that might be available.

no reason not to use a shop compressor, that's literally what they were designed to be used with. You are supposed to have a filter on there though.

I just bought a new ag30 so will be doing some slick things with the inlet side with some parts laying around at work.

Essentially, it's one of these which is a 1/2 NPT filter and regulator. You need to filter down to at least 5 micron to keep the Haskel happy and since they have stupid high flow rates, you really want to keep the 1/2 NPT sized filters and knock down to 1/4NPT on the inlet of that. Having the filter right at the device means the air is going to cool as much as it can through the hose to ease filtration, and having the regulator right at the device means you can control the pressure drop from the lines and the filters *big pressure drop in that last stage of filtration btw*. The first stage is 10um filters for the big stuff, second stage is .3um for oil and what not. Expensive, but half the cost of the parts for a new seal kit from Haskel so worth it. Haskel says 5um for filtration and that is much better done with 2 stage than single stage
https://www.amazon.com/PneumaticPlu...2693234&sr=8-8&keywords=pneumaticplus+1/2+npt

For compressors the newest thing in the last few years for oil-less compressors has been the use of diaphragm pumps. These are the same pumps used for hookahs, oxygen concentrators, etc. and theoretically you could use one to as inlet gas on the haskel for breathing gas *though I would put a filter stack on the outlet of the Haskel for any ambient CO etc*. Lowes sells them as Quiettech I think for $200-$300. Much less obnoxious noise wise than traditional compressors, especially traditional oilless compressors, though quite a bit heavier. Well worth it though and if you're doing any legit amount of boosting, much better to use a LP compressor

which haskel are you using? Size matters :D

They are thirsty for sure. Small RB top offs are cool with scuba drive air. Never understood why people expensive scuba air to drive a piece of shop equipment. To me it's making spaghetti in a clean room, over kill. How big is your booster and how much are you filling? How much room do you have?

I am in the planning stage right now. My plan is to use the 5HP 2-stage shop compressor I already own. I have a plasma torch and have a MotorGaurd filter that has been working great for that for over a decade. The filter is normally used in the auto refinishing industry to keep contamination out of the paint. With as good as it works on the plasma, planning on another for the booster. Flow rates that exceed my compressor and sub-micron filtration. The joke about them is if you ever need a new filter you just put a roll of toilet paper in. The filter media is better then that, but that is what it looks like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom