Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that the myth of "film being different" from digital is just that, a myth. From Andrew Molitor (you should read him)
"Those giant 8x10 negatives with all their incredible detail and beautiful color rendition and choirs of angels? You can do that all with a good modern digital camera, except for the angels. Angels are notorious for hating on the digital." More importantly no one cares how you shot what you shot; only the output is important. That being said, if shooting film is your thing then by all means shoot it, but don't think expect that your pictures will all of a sudden be much better (but there will be far fewer of them).
Cheers

Bill
I think the only person here saying that their pictures are "better" shooting film is you. People do what subjectively feels more satisfying to them, like diving vintage gear, driving a stick shift or listening to tube amplifiers.

I was responding to "There is an intangible something special about film that even the best digital cameras can't quite seem to reproduce". Maybe something special doesn't mean better but it certainly suggest is. I completely agree that you should do what "feels" satisfying. I still shoot B&W film a bit (developing color at home is a PITA) and love how it makes you go much slower, just not for underwater.
Bill

Bill,

Son of a gun!

The O CUPS presentation was a magical night for me - I was reunited with diving friends I hadn't seen for some as long a 40 years. They seemed to have come out of now where to hear the presentation and to if ever so briefly have a chat about the great times and great dives of the past and take a snap or two.

I was also honored to meet and make a number of new friends I didn't have until that evening. I hope I can say you were among them

Now if we can only get Zale down for the history of the LA UPS

Keep on snapping

SAM

Dear Captain Tim
I only just came across your 2017 post. I would like to share that I am still diving with my old Hasselblad Undereater Housings. I have the ones built by huygyfot for Hasselblad and I have the both for the SWC and the 500cm housing. I have been using these two housing for as long as I can remember but I have over the years adapted them to keep up with the digital age. They both now take the latest Seacam strobe and the Hasselblad CFV back. I am always looking for lens gears for some of my other Hasselblad lenses. Would you know who would be carry those len gears? I also would like to get in touch with other Hasselblad Underwater Housing users.
Cheers
Felix

Dear Captain Tim
I only just came across your 2017 post. I would like to share that I am still diving with my old Hasselblad Undereater Housings. I have the ones built by huygyfot for Hasselblad and I have the both for the SWC and the 500cm housing. I have been using these two housing for as long as I can remember but I have over the years adapted them to keep up with the digital age. They both now take the latest Seacam strobe and the Hasselblad CFV back. I am always looking for lens gears for some of my other Hasselblad lenses. Would you know who would be carry those len gears? I also would like to get in touch with other Hasselblad Underwater Housing users.
Cheers
Felix

Felix great to here from you. Your reply, no matter how long after my original post ...supports the thought that there is still a place for MF in underwater photography. Woo Hoo!
I might be able to assist you in your search. I am currently involved in few other matters for the next week or two but I do wish to communicate further on this.
A couple of things to leave you with, at least for the time being....
Gears...I can get back to you on this but the C lenses have shutter and aperture barrel components that are equal to or only slightly off of the size for the same component on many of the C lenses. I can take this as a first step to confirm this. In fact if they are on the mark it would only be the "reach" factor of the drive gears in the housing that would be of issue. More as I look into and take dimensions of the lenses I have.
What lenses are you using that you wish to "splash" in the housing? The SWC of course has the fixed 38mm and the 500C/CM version will handle the 50 and 80 with out too much that has to be changed.
I know that one design that Akimbo and I were contemplating was the 30mm fish eye on the version 2 (blue housing) and the Jim Church design for the ELM a few thousand years back.
The idea was to supplement that with a dome from a custom design by Chuck Davis for his Contax 4.5 X 6. It is actully a Video camera dome but I would have to ask Chuck from where it actually came from.. That email request already gone.
Yes there will be solutions out there and of course your ability to "splash" any of them is strictly a matter of $$$$. Stand by I will get back to you with some more specific information on some possible folks building some limited 3D printing versions of gear sets.
BTW I still shoot film with the Hassleblads but would be very interested in what you think of the digital back you are using. Not something I will be considering at this stage for U/W but maybe topside? Right now working with Ilford on a way to bring 24 frames back to their film selections using the same idea as 35mm (continuous roll and preload the magazines in the dark room).
It is now with the number crunching folks at Ilford. Maybe ..it could happen?

Later
Tim

My favorite underwater camera is my Nikonos RS. Sure, it's not a Hasselblad, but I enjoy it much more than my 5D with a housing, despite the relative uncertainty involved.

I'd love to try using some of that old film gear, unfortunately, I don't own any of it. Maybe I'll pick some up one of these days, although truth be told, I don't use my old film gear enough as it is.

There's definitely something special and rewarding about developing your own film. Whether that's "better" or not, meh, they're different mediums. They each have their own appeal.

When you develop your own film, what do you do with the chemicals? This is to me one of the big drawbacks of home developing, putting lots of chemicals down the drain. I am lucky that I work in a lab where we have a waste stream management (hazardous waste pickup) but I live in a town where our water is well water and try to be careful what I put into the drains.
Bill

When you develop your own film, what do you do with the chemicals? This is to me one of the big drawbacks of home developing, putting lots of chemicals down the drain. I am lucky that I work in a lab where we have a waste stream management (hazardous waste pickup) but I live in a town where our water is well water and try to be careful what I put into the drains.
Bill

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
An Excellent question and one we should all be on the same page with. Since I process all forms of chemistry including C41, E6, this issue is even more important.
I am lucky to have a land fill and Hazmat drop point within 3 miles of my location. A fantastic one at that. To my knowledge most of the film folks here in Monterey, and there are a lot of them, usually use this drop point for their chemistry.
Since I process strictly ONE SHOT the chemistry can build up rather fast when I am on a shooting binge.
Several satellite sites for the same company are also used in various locations , but they usually have more restrictive hours than the Marina Land Fill that I use for my own..
To make it easy from develop to dump , I use a couple of JOBO manual processors (w/lift) that are set up to dump directly to their own containers and keep them separated.
I am unsure if that is necessary, but for silver recovery I am sure with the B&W it is probably best.

My favorite underwater camera is my Nikonos RS. Sure, it's not a Hasselblad, but I enjoy it much more than my 5D with a housing, despite the relative uncertainty involved.

I'd love to try using some of that old film gear, unfortunately, I don't own any of it. Maybe I'll pick some up one of these days, although truth be told, I don't use my old film gear enough as it is.

There's definitely something special and rewarding about developing your own film. Whether that's "better" or not, meh, they're different mediums. They each have their own appeal.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

John. a camera selection that is THE BOMB that provides for unequal access and flexibility for U/W photography at any level like no other ever made..
It is hardly missing from any serious U/W photographer rig , mounted somewhere on his/her system.
Hang the 15MM on it and you are "living the dream" Not many (if any) lens can match that particular lens for sharpness and DOF. The dome on that lens is one of the very best for the optics that are protected by it..
If using a flash unit and one can bring along a flash meter, you know that every single frame will be properly exposed..

Bill

I'll generally develop in decent sized batches so I'll save everything up and take it to the HAZMAT after I'm done with everything.

I've tried caffenol a couple times, basically washing soda, vitamin-c, and instant coffee. Completely safe to flush. I need to experiment more I've only tried it on a couple throwaway rolls of HP5+ and TMAX 400. Doesn't smell very good, but it's safe. We're well and septic so I don't throw anything down the drain.

John. a camera selection that is THE BOMB that provides for unequal access and flexibility for U/W photography at any level like no other ever made..
It is hardly missing from any serious U/W photographer rig , mounted somewhere on his/her system.
Hang the 15MM on it and you are "living the dream" Not many (if any) lens can match that particular lens for sharpness and DOF. The dome on that lens is one of the very best for the optics that are protected by it..
If using a flash unit and one can bring along a flash meter, you know that every single frame will be properly exposed..

I definitely enjoy shooting with it, and I've got an SB-102 that works just fine, although I hear that they have issues and Nikon was swapping them for 105's at no cost for a while. And I agree, the lenses are pretty incredible. Mine actually went to Antarctica with the previous owner, and the photos ended up in National Geographic!

Back
Top Bottom