Have a Flight Into Cancun but want to stay in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimJam2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, Southwest just started flying into Cancun and I and a couple of buddies have Florida (Key Largo) tickets that we can exchange for a presumably better experience in Sept 2017.
I am a diver and my buddy and his wife will be getting a PADI referral for OW training (well at least one of them, hopefully both).
Is there anyone out there that can recommend a hotel, dive shop or travel agency that will handle a package which includes:
- Air from Cancun to Cozumel RT
- Hotel accommodations (my friends drink like fish so AI is preferred).
- Hotel with a pier within a block or so for dive day pickups.
- Diving (including the PADI referral for at least 1 diver)
We are looking for something in the moderate price range. A non-AI hotel is an option as long as there are restaurants and bars nearby and it isn't in the heart of downtown and is located within a block of a pickup pier.

One more question: If we do stay in Cancun (for one reason or another), how does Cancun diving rate against Key Largo diving?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Key largo, lol!

Do a search on Bag Drop....plenty of great info for you! Everything you ask has been posted over and over again.....

BagDrop.JPG

???

This is the link to my Cozumel albums & there are several hotel / resort tours in them. Hotel Cozumel is my base of operations & can be booked as an AI or Bed & breakfast & the price varies between seasons. You want to do Cozumel & not Cancun.

ci_copo’s albums | Flickr

Yep, iPad auto correct sux! Sorry.

Several items:

(1) You do NOT need to fly from Cancun to Cozumel. Bag Drag consists of taking the ADO bus directly from the Cancun Airport to Playa Del Carmen, it drops you off within 3-4 blocks of the Ferry Pier, then Ferry to Cozumel. Best if you pay for both in pesos, but even if you pay in dollars, bus + ferry will run about $20 per person each way. One hour bus ride + 45 minute ferry ride + wait time, which varies. Search this forum for Bag Drag - it'll tell you everything you need to know.

(2) LOTS of hotel choices, including Hotel Plaza Cozumel, right across the main street (Melgar) from the Ferry Pier, within 2-3 blocks of a pier where several dive ops will pick up. Or, Suites Bahia, down Melgar a few blocks, or Casa Mexicana, about a block further. There are several other downtown hotels, all very easy walking distance to a lot of very good restaurant choices. Or, for more "resort" feel, Hotel Cozumel and Resort, still easy walking distance to downtown, big comfortable hotel, HUGE pool area, easy access to pier where many Dive Ops will pick you up - Dive Paradise is the house Dive Op, but you don't have to use them. Do NOT do the AI option at Hotel Cozumel; breakfast is find, but IMO lunch & dinner food there is awful - you can eat much better going out. Again, lots of good info on this forum, and at CozumelMyCozumel, on hotels and restaurants.

You do NOT need a package deal. With a little work online, you can do very well going ala carte. But some Dive Ops (like Christi at Blue XTSea and Tres Pelicanos) will put together a hotel-dive package for you, and you won't go wrong with either of those operators.

Jimjam2,
You are getting great suggestions here from Ddjdiverdan.
I used to be a bit concerned about resolving unknowns, specifically how to get from Cancun to Cozumel, and how difficult would that be.
After doing the Cancun to Cozumel crossing about 2 years ago for a week long stay lugging dive and underwater photography equipment, it's very easy and have been fortunate enough to repeat Cozumel visits several times since then.
This video really helped us the first time. The ADO buses are efficient, comfortable, clean and if you pay in pesos, there is no better deal out there.
The ferry, same program. Fast, reliable and affordable. There are 3 companies and they are competing for your business. It's very affordable too. I think it's about $20 for a one way bus ticket, and $15 for a one way ferry crossing.
Carry a few singles and use them to tip the staff helping you board and disembark your luggage.
The airport has been expanding and while the number of buses and parking areas has grown, the general directions and tips offered by Scuba Tony are still good and valid.
Enjoy your trip.
Cheers

Do what everyone else suggested - take the Ado Bus to Playa del Carmen then walk to ferry. Easy. Buy whatever ferry is coming next. Don't buy return until you need it. When you are ready to return, do the same thing.

I was nervous about it as well (no espanol - my mom made me take Mandarin) so I googled the crap out of how to figure this out on my own.

My travel companion thought I had been there and done the transfer many times before after having this resource with photos and descriptions on how to do it. Thorough and turn by turn. Use it and love it then pass it along to the next unsure traveler. :)

Cancun Airport to Playa del Carmen/Cozumel by ADO Bus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom