Have a guestion about steel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost.Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
72 tanks. I pretty much know that they are not common anymore (not being made?) Local guy has some that he's wanting to get rid of. Wants $50 for each one. Current hydro and viz. My question is are all these tanks going to be LP's? Couldnt find too much info about them except for Faber (3300) but I am pretty sure that these are not that new. The guy is supposed to copy down all the markings on the neck to let me know but I'd like to find out some info too

Yes. They're all 1800 or 2250 psi.

All of these that I have seen are either 1800 of 2250, the 1800psi tanks are the older of the 2.

ID

If they are the 1800psi tanks, is there any downfall to them other than being ULP's (ultra low pressure...) guy says 5 of them have K valves, 1 has J valve. If I get these, I plan on replacing valves with H manifold and having a small set of doubles. If the tanks are of the 'old' type there valves can still be changed out correct? As far as I know, all the tanks he has were individual setups, no doubles with the low rise pipe comming out of the tank to a single valve.

If you get them, I'd just dive them as singles. They'll have 1/2" valves and/or tapered threads so no current valves or manifolds will fit. I'd ditch the J-valve as well. Some parts are getting hard to come by and many techs today don't know how to maintain them.

I don't know of a manifold that will fit 72's that I would dive today. Sure I've dove them in the past but technology changes to improve safety in this sport. No matter what tank size you choose, use a dual isolation manifold. And accept nothing less.

I got really lucky with my steel 72's. I purchased them along with bands and a manifold before I realized that they might not work. I was lucky and the tanks had a standard 3/4 14 opening. Bands were difficult to come by, but I found some. Before you buy I would triple check the tank valve size, but any that are only 1800 PSI will probably be tapered or have a smaller opening or both.

New Faber 72 's are available from any ScubaLux dealer. They are called MP ( Mid-Pressure) 72 's. Service pressure is 3000 psi. Fill pressure w/ 10 % overfill = 3300 psi. Capacity 72 cu ft / 9.0 ltr. Outside Dia. 6.75 SW Bouyancy -9.9 full/-5.2 empty. Valve dia. 3/4 so manifolds are readly available from same dealers. They can also be ordered with some pretty neat graphics too !

Divemstr13

I bet those tanks cost a lot more than $50.00 each.

Were you able to find tank bands for a diameter that small. When I looked for mine I did not find anything under 7.25 inches!

They sure do cost more, but they are new and will give many, many years of service. And valve diameters are such that you can still purchase many different configurations, also I'm not quite sure if the older Faber cylinders are triple protected with zinc spraying,epoxy primer coating and polyurethane finish like the new ones are. Faber seem's to be least prone to flash rust due to the phosphatized internal coating.The bands you may be able to find on Dive Rites web site.www.diverite.com if they have them they should be able to tell you what shop should have them in stock or which shop you can order them from.

Back
Top Bottom