Have any of you guys ever shot a real gun underwater, or as shark repellent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
I heard that you can shoot the glock pistol underwater and that it can be used as protection against predators. What do you guys think about that? Bang Sticks are illegal in many states from what I understand.

I wonder what effects it would have underwater, and how far a bullet like a .45 or 9mm will travel underwater and still be effective enough to penetrate the skin of a big animal like a 12'+ shark? If it gets close shoot it right in the head or multiple shots in the gills or other areas.

Would it actually be dangerous to shoot underwater or is it more of a noice maker?

1. Do they make the bullets waterproof now. I was raised that this was the biggest issue of having a gun (ammo) around water.

2. I truly don't know, but am curious. Does the ammo need the oxygen in the air to combust? Will it even go "bang"?

3. What about hearing protection if it does work? A large caliber handgun is loud in air, and I'd wear some kind of muff even on the surface. Given the density of water, the shockwave must do a number on the ears.

4. Is a Glock one of the new "synthetic" material items. Would think seawater would not be very freindly to steel!

Jackknife once bubbled...
I heard that you can shoot the glock pistol underwater and that it can be used as protection against predators. What do you guys think about that? Bang Sticks are illegal in many states from what I understand.

I wonder what effects it would have underwater, and how far a bullet like a .45 or 9mm will travel underwater and still be effective enough to penetrate the skin of a big animal like a 12'+ shark? If it gets close shoot it right in the head or multiple shots in the gills or other areas.

Would it actually be dangerous to shoot underwater or is it more of a noice maker?

Protection from what? The only monsters in the deep are the ones between the divers ears. :)

R..

The bullet will only travel a very short distance, even if you could fire it. They have long sticks that have high pressure canisters on the end that fire into sharks, but that is only in extreme situations. Sharks don't bother you unless you swim with a bag of chum or something.

Not to mention that it's probably illegal.

the ammo is waterproof. That plug of water in the
barrel should make for some interesting chamber]
pressures though. The slug would be moving so slow
and thru a very thick medium I doubt if it would go more
than about 3'.
I sure wouldn't do it.:eek:

On this webpage you will find a video detailing everything you want to know about firing 9 different handguns underwater. It answers all the questions like

What happens when you shoot Glock 19 underwater ? How about a Colt 1911, S&W revolver, Sig Sauer P-229, Ruger 22? Over 9 different handguns in all are shot, tested and evaluated underwater. Are handguns effective underwater? How far and how fast will the bullet travel? Will the automatics cycle another round? Are revolvers better? How loud is it underwater and above water?

Underwater Shooting Tests and Evaluations

Bad link.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
On this webpage you will find a video detailing everything you want to know about firing 9 different handguns underwater. It answers all the questions like

What happens when you shoot Glock 19 underwater ? How about a Colt 1911, S&W revolver, Sig Sauer P-229, Ruger 22? Over 9 different handguns in all are shot, tested and evaluated underwater. Are handguns effective underwater? How far and how fast will the bullet travel? Will the automatics cycle another round? Are revolvers better? How loud is it underwater and above water?

Underwater Shooting Tests and Evaluations

12+ foot shark? Where are you diving?

Considering I have seen photo's of shooting victims that took 33 9mm bullet hits before going down, I don't think a 12+ foot shark would be very impressed by a couple of 9mm bullets?

12ga might work, but then your back to the bang stick:bonk:

narcT once bubbled...
12+ foot shark? Where are you diving?

Considering I have seen photo's of shooting victims that took 33 9mm bullet hits before going down, I don't think a 12+ foot shark would be very impressed by a couple of 9mm bullets?

12ga might work, but then your back to the bang stick:bonk:

If you ask me, shooting, or sticking a shark with anything is asking for a Darwin award.

My uncle caught a 3 ft long shark while trolling from a kayak once. He got it up to the boat before he realised what it was, pulled it up over the kayak like the large hairy and big-balled individual he was, stuck a knife in it's skull and "stirred". When he threw it back in the water it just swam away like nothing had happened.

My guess is that your ray-gun or whatever it was, even if you *were* to need help won't help. And if you tried to use it preventatively the encounter would go like this:

CHOMP
OH SH*T WHERE'S MY RAY-GUN :eek:
CHOMP
Got it :makeday:
CHOMP
Bang
Bang
CHOMP

Game over.

and some time later if you miraculously didn't kill your buddy in the process the shark dies from laughter.

Don't forget, sharks can move 20 times faster than divers. Ever try shooting a moving target from anything other than point-blank range? How about one 20 times faster than you? Ever try doing that in a medium 800 times more dense than air?

I mean, leave the gun at home. Even if guns *were* the panacea of self-protection they would be useless against anything big and fast enough to make you think you needed it.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom