Have you been “accepted” by a school of fish, or made a fish friend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend had a black skin with yellow stripes down the sides and attracted, sure enough, a school of little black fish with yellow stripes. Too funny. Sadly no video.
Wow that’s interesting!

I once thought I got accepted by that school of cudas in my avatar as much as one ever might be, but since learned that maybe I was just dumb and lucky...

Shwob interestingly I've heard a few times that barracudas often use divers as "shadows" while hunting - seems to be the case with the giant solitary Barra more than chevrons.

Did you also notice that you suddenly had no human buddy whilst in a school of barracuda? The lily livered Spaniard who was supposed to be my buddy in Sipidan took off, hid against the reef and took pictures.

TBH I think you would be safest in a school of fish...except maybe piranhas

Joined by this little cigar minnow on my morning trip today.
8C1A5D36-82F0-49D1-A95A-FE51F221F2CD.jpeg

He had two buddy’s join him an hr or so later (atleast I think).
96D98CE9-D3E0-4AA9-8AD3-CA955C938579.jpeg

...Did you also notice that you suddenly had no human buddy whilst in a school of barracuda?...
My son definitely chooses to keep a more respectful distance... he also might be smarter than me...

Do they bite?
Not that I know, but I read (some where on SB I think) that cudas (supposedly) like to attack "shiny / blinky things". IDK, but since reading about someone having been bitten in their face I am quite alert if / when choosing to slooowly float closer (not sure that would make a difference, likely any cuda could out-react me)...

Last edited:
My wife and I had some very persistent remoras decide to be our best friends during a dive. Those guys REALLY didn't want to leave us, they stuck with us till we climbed onto the boat. That was on the Sheridan wreck in Clearwater, FL.

Barracudas are the only thing I really try to avoid when diving. I just don't like the look of those shifty buggers... always staring at me with one eye. I guess I might add to that short list if I ever encountered a white.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom