Have you been to Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also very much enjoy Padang Bai and staying at Absolute Scuba. The resort itself, doesn't have the most Balinese ambiance in the neighborhood but it is in an excellent position on the bay, boats leave from right out front, food is very good, rooms very clean, staff lovely.

Bali offers almost every type of diving that you might prefer. Sometimes the water is colder than we would expect in the tropics.

The diving was great compared to where I usually go in the Caribbean and at 70 you maybe on the young side for Tulamben. I'm not making that up, the place is totally set up for older divers and if need be, your CM will pretty much carry you down to the water and put your gear on you.
Older people stay in Amed/Tulamben while the younger set do day trips up from the southern resort area.
Wot?? it's been more than 10 times i stayed in T'ben and I'm not that old, I am still a 50er young at heart !!!!
Joke apart, it's true that the dive guides will do everything for you to feel comfortable, and it's not even for the sake of a tip (but they earn it). Welcome to South East Asia, land where human beings care for other human beings.
Younger people do stay A LOT in Amed, that's why I avoid their backpacker dive centres and youngsters driving scooters for the first time (Bali's most dangerous threat).
Southern resorts in Nusa Dua or Jimbaran are more for non diving families and elder travelers.

I was trying to play up the suitability of Bali for "older" divers with that post. I'm in my mid fifties and I' used to going to Utila Honduras where I'm the old guy, the guy who's hoping that his wetsuit is working like a corrective garment, like spanx, if you will and doing the trick of holding my slowly expanding gut in. :cry:

I went with Adventure Divers in Amed, based on their Trip Advisor reviews and I stayed with them as well. I was kind of nervous about it considering that was the first time I'd ever booked/committed to any operation without having been on the property first. I wasn't disappointed, to say the least.

Three divers was a large group and quite often in was one on one seeing as how it was low season and the DMs are on salary. A nice change from Utila where it's more about the group with a DM who's more focused on wrangling the newly certified divers who are still enthralled with the idea of "flying under water" and looking to see the green moray.

On Bali, if I found something, even if it was something mundane like a juvenile white spotted wrasse, the DMs were patient and waited for me to finish checking out this find of mine. Yea, I'm into bicolor dartfish too.

So now it's Bali until I die. I'd like to check out some more of these Indonesian hot spots but I've got ear problems. I've perforated my left ear drum 4 times, including my last trip to Bali ( 46 dives in 30 days ) and I'm a little hesitant to push it in Komodo or Raja Ampat because as soon as that perforation happens I'm out of the water even with a Pro Ear mask. It doesn't happen every dive trip but over the years it's happened enough times to make me nervous.

I'd say Amed was at least 50% over 50 with an even higher percentage in Tulamben, at least from what I could see when I visited the resorts on the surface interval.

So now it's Bali until I die. I'd like to check out some more of these Indonesian hot spots but I've got ear problems. I've perforated my left ear drum 4 times, including my last trip to Bali ( 46 dives in 30 days ) and I'm a little hesitant to push it in Komodo or Raja Ampat because as soon as that perforation happens I'm out of the water even with a Pro Ear mask. It doesn't happen every dive trip but over the years it's happened enough times to make me nervous.
Ouch... I wouldn't like that.
On the other hand I am pretty sure you could at least TRY Komodo once from a day trip operation. You book a few days in a LBJ based op and if anything happens (Leave Castle or Crystal rock for the last days, prefer Batu Bolong or Tatawa besar for the sake of your ear) , rebooking/forwarding your flight back to Bali and an accom to rest in Ubud is a piece of cake anytime of the year.
I wouldn't try Raja Ampat though, it might be too costly to stay a week time in a dive resort for just enjoying the land side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom