Have you ever had to dump your weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No.

But I have "practiced" doing it, without intending to (subtitle: "weights cost much more than belt". Sub-subtitle: "Clasps wear out before belts do"). ;-)

I stopped somebody from ditching theirs. Did that count? Instabuddy (one of those brag a lot ones) at start of dive at 30 ft in the keys, all of a sudden got the big eyes and started to unbuckle his belt. I put my hand on his and stopped him, calmed him down, and led him back up to boat. His mask was flooding which I could see at the start so I knew what was causing his panic.

I don't dive with ditchable weight because I dive a balanced rig. There's no need.

OK, so after the snarky half butted answer I gave yesterday, here is my only weight ditching story.

I used to have a 2 piece farmer john semi dry. It fit real good when I got it, but sadly it shrunk. It got me through many dives in Maine, and a few in Texas, but the food from a good woman etc.... Anyway, it was early in the year, water temps at the Flower Gardens was in the upper 60s, and I had moorings to set. I jumped in in my 2 piece and realized I looked like Gumby except he was more flexible. I got to the front of the boat, started down the old mooring, and just couldn't get enough gas. and then I realized I couldn't get to my inflator in the vertical position. I could reach my weight belt, and proceeded to send it to the bottom by itself. I bobbed like a cork and actually had to be hauled onboard like a gutted fish. It was not funny then and it isn't funny now, although those who know me might think it is so. I came close to full panic that day and had to be rescued like a weenie.

What if...
You were injured, or incapacitated, and unable to swim your way to the surface? Or were attempting to assist another diver in that circumstance? Dropping a weight pocket gets you moving in the right direction, while still allowing some control by deflating BC

This is dangerous practice because in the case your accidentally let go of the diver you are helping, you will have uncontrolled ascent yourself.

Keep in mind, if you haven't lose a major portion of your positive buoyancy, say flooding a drysuit, most if not all the lift in your wing is available for you to use. Dropping weight at depth creates uncontrolled ascent, which is equally deadly.

Aqualung singlehandedly contributes more lead toxicity to the ocean than bombs and bullets with their POS click-in weight pockets, IMHO :gas:

Sure-LockTM ?? NOT

Amen! Jacked with one of my wife's check out dives. When BC shopping she said that she would consider anything except AL BCs. I could find no reason to disagree with her.

Thought of it once - got caught in a sharp down-draft on a wall dive and filling the BC was not stopping the descent. But the thought of subsequent uncontrolled ascent was scarier. Was just about to try jamming my knife into a crack in the rock wall when the elevator stopped.
Well, almost dropped weights once at the surface when I wasn't sure I'd get back to the boat.
However, I almost always clip my weight belt onto a lanyard that I leave hanging from the boat, and drop it, before boarding. Then the rig, too. It's just easier to pull them up from the boat - especially when cold and tired.

I suppose catastrophic failure of a non-neoprene drysuit could be... interesting. Not sure how that would really happen though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom