Have you experienced a negative reaction to your pursuit of solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've become a scuba snob! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Hey, all I want in a woman is good trim and non-silting kicks, the rest is details :wink: .

Peace,
Greg

hmmm...maybe we can have those added to the profile questions on eharmony. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Big Eustachian tubes would be good too. I love my wife, but damn, she's so slow clearing....

Her "beam" is quite shapely though and she does have very good trim. (I was her Instructor, but that's a thread all in itself... :D)

What usually happens to me is I head out on a local boat without a buddy, and without fail another diver, usually a fairly new one, also alone, strikes up the courage to ask me if I have a buddy and if not would I mind buddying with them. When I say, no thanks, I'm soloing today, they look rejected and hurt with this "Oh so I am not good enough for you" look. Suddenly there is this tension in the air. I have a solo card, so no issues with the boat Captain or crew if I want to solo, but I can tell they would rather I be a team player and buddy up with the newbie there alone as it would make everyone's job easier. So no, no direct "youre gonna die, you can't do that, PADI says you can't" reaction, but more of a dive boat pariah reaction. I'm considering taking a camera and or spear just so I can say I'm hunting or shooting video as it is somehow more acceptable if you have a reason to solo other than you would rather dive alone.

What usually happens to me is I head out on a local boat without a buddy, and without fail another diver, usually a fairly new one, also alone, strikes up the courage to ask me if I have a buddy and if not would I mind buddying with them. When I say, no thanks, I'm soloing today, they look rejected and hurt with this "Oh so I am not good enough for you" look. Suddenly there is this tension in the air. I have a solo card, so no issues with the boat Captain or crew if I want to solo, but I can tell they would rather I be a team player and buddy up with the newbie there alone as it would make everyone's job easier. So no, no direct "youre gonna die, you can't do that, PADI says you can't" reaction, but more of a dive boat pariah reaction. I'm considering taking a camera and or spear just so I can say I'm hunting or shooting video as it is somehow more acceptable if you have a reason to solo other than you would rather dive alone.

I've decided that I will no longer accept a divemaster's request to buddy up with another customer unless the boat pays me $50 per buddy. That usually and quickly stops them from asking me again.

This sounds like something out of one of my dive logs. Sometimes I will go out on a "club" dive where I know most of the divers. Everyone is buddying up on the boat. When they get to me (and most know I almost always dive solo), and I say that I am diving solo, I immediately get the pariah look, but it gets worse. As everyone is performing buddy check, inevitably someone will want to check the valves on my manifold (I dive doubles). I politely ask them to please not touch my valves. Now I have graduated from pariah to disease carrying land shark.

I was at a swamp diver campout a couple of weeks ago. Late Friday night as everyone was hanging around the campfire drinking beer, I was gearing up in the dark. A fairly new diver came over to look at my gear. It didn't occur to him that I didn't have a buddy until I started walking to the water. The night was dark and the water looked black from the surface. It wasn't until I reached the water that it dawned on him that I didn't have a buddy. He stopped me and asked if I was going in that dark water by myself. The look on his face was priceless.

I've decided that I will no longer accept a divemaster's request to buddy up with another customer unless the boat pays me $50 per buddy. That usually and quickly stops them from asking me again.

Now That is a great idea...:D

Now That is a great idea...:D

It makes sense though. Why would he have to be a "team player" when he is a paying customer?

Back
Top Bottom