Haven't settled on the right BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's an SDI sponsorship and I'm getting ow, dry suit and Nitrox computer certification all at once.
I was using 28 lbs weights last night to get to the bottom of the pool. It seems like a lot of weight, I wonder if stomach and breast reduction would mean less added weight to get to get below the surface?

Yes, less body fat means less lead needed. Big dual life preservers, as I call the girls, are really floaty. The guys have no idea. I used close to that same amount single tank diving in a drysuit. Don’t get hung up on the number. If you need that much, you need that much. A bit heavy is better than too light. Trust me on this.

And you will also likely drop some lead as you get more experience.

I'll experiment with the Hollis 200 HD next week by not putting so much air in it.. Last night was trial and error regarding the amount of weight needed and plus it was my first time diving in that particular BC. I noticed the large size has a crotch belt but the XL did not?

I'll experiment with the Hollis 200 HD next week by not putting so much air in it.. Last night was trial and error regarding the amount of weight needed and plus it was my first time diving in that particular BC. I noticed the large size has a crotch belt but the XL did not?

If you can add a crotch belt, do it! Makes a HUGE difference at keeping BC from riding up.

you need a crotch strap, it's arguably the most important strap on the BC's, especially at the surface.... Get a stainless backplate with a crotch strap, it will make a huge difference for you.

The BP/W will fit you after your surgery. It’s just some webbing to be adjusted. I found the squeeE from a regular BC to be not to my liking and I got a BP/W. Much better.

I won't teach ow students in a wetsuit.

Diving is supposed to be comfortable and fun. Being cold is a significant stress factor and stress inhibits learning.
[/QUOTE
Can't see
Can't hear
Can't clear ears
Can't breathe through nose
Can't feel
Can't reach etc.
Now let's go diving
Oh let's give you something else to pay attention too an other air space that shifts around.
Watch your buddy.
Here's a computer to fool with.
Figured out how to get comfortable in a BCD.
Etc

Ya I would say it's over welming for a new diver.
Middle of summer with a inland quarry or small lake is not a big deal to use a wet suit.

Not saying they should not be introduced to a dry suit. But get 10-15 basic dives in first.
It's called task loading. And I am sure some people can handle it. But it's also suppose to be fun being a bit cold is not a huge deal especially if they come from a cold area... they know what cold is. (Its not a big deal if its sunny and warm on the surface)

Let's see..... maybe we should add a rebreather in the mix. Probably be good for people that have a real hard time clearing their ears....

@Rol diy

Lol. See my blog series on teaching neutrally buoyant and trimmed. I break up the first part into smaller steps to build momentum. Winds up saving time and creating more skilled and more confident divers.

Break away from the mediocrity that infests the industry and you'll see how much you can achieve with a constrained timeframe.

The OPs class sounds good to me.

Congrats on the the surgery. One of my family has had it and it has made a huge difference in there life in many positive ways. For what it's worth, I'd suggest you consider postponing any purchase until you are post op. A reduction in your over all body size/volume will impact your trim and the weight (lead weight) you'll need to maintain neutral buoyancy.
You might find that the Hollis will work differently for you too. After going through several evolutions of BCDs myself, I've settle on the simplicity of a wing and plate system. I have a steel plate, an aluminum plate, and a composite plate. All of them work with interchangeable bladders depending on whether I'm doing doubles or just an aluminum 80 on an easy drift dive. My best to you and dont skip those deco stops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom