Having another go, after 25 years, and on a budget.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MACS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all! So 25 years ago I started scuba a BSAC course in Germany with the army, never finished because of life events took over. I did a suck and see in the Philippines about 9 yrs ago and it all came back. I'm going to do PADI open water in a month or so.

When I put my mind to something I complete it, so I started getting some kit together and need advice.
I have four kids so I have to do things within a budget, so far I purchased an.
1. aqualung titan lx octopus (cold weather)
2. Scubapro MK10 first stage with a polar second regulator with a Scubapro bcd with an air 2 octo/inflator.
3. Aqualung Seaquest latitude bcd.
4. Faber 12.2l dumpy dive cylinder.

I have wetsuits mask fin's snorkel, so I have the basics but will need a dry suit as I live in Ireland. I would presume that when I do my open water dives I will be wearing a dry suit as the temps in the sea off Dublin can be quite bracing.

Now the advice I need is am I jumping the gun and buying vintage gear which will not be serviceable, both set's of regulators seem in great condition and the aqualung titan came with service kit. The Scubapro looks like it was never used and came with the fabber tank.
The tank a 12.2l came without air and is marked 94/9658/012, does this mean the tank was manufactured in 94 or 2012. The valve was open and not tight and upon looking, with an inspection camera, I use for work the inside is perfect, the outside shows small blisters to the paint but seems just surface imperfections. Can I send this cylinder out for a hydro test at a test center near me or am I wasting my money and just buy a new cylinder.

I'm getting near to fifty and don't want another thing to just pass by and say I wish I'd done that and never at least gave it another try.

Thanks for any advice.

You won’t know until you get the regs at depth unless you get them serviced first. I have 5 Scubapro MK20 G500’s made in 1998 that I cave dive with. Again, getting them serviced is the key.

I will get them serviced before I use them. I think by the other parts of the Scubapro kit this is circa 1995. Looking at this site and the internet that the mk10 is a good bit of kit, likewise, the aqualung titan lx octo is very well considered, I think this is also around the same age.
I have taken all second stages apart and inspected them, and the first stage filters look brand new, there is no external corrosion or physical damage to any parts (except a few scratches.) If I remember right by sucking on and holding a vacuum is a good test for second stage regs. I was given the service kit for the titan with a intermediate pressure gauge, but this is no good until I have a cylinder full to test them.

But I want to know am I buying kit that will not be serviceable in the future.

I would check with the shop if they'll provide drysuits to students--ours here doesn't (7 mil farmer john wet provided). Our water temps. are similar. Gets real dicey for students on those courses in April, May (water temp.) & Nov.(Air temp.). Of course the instructors go dry.

if you are the handy type, both the titan and scubapro mk10 are good regs to diy service. can save you quite a bit vs taking it to a lds. you can find tutorials and service manuals at vintage double hose.

use whichever bcd looks to be in better shape. using the air2 or not will be up to your preference, but if you choose to use the air2 instead of an octo, practice ascending with it in your mouth and switching to it. the titan lx is a better choice for your primary since it is balanced with the polar as your backup. for ireland diving cold water, if you have the spec boot on the mk10, consider getting it packed. you can use superlube if you don't want to spend extra for o2 clean christolube or tribolube.

tank is most likely fine, send it for hydro.

I would check with the shop if they'll provide drysuits to students--ours here doesn't (7 mil farmer john wet provided). Our water temps. are similar. Gets real dicey for students on those courses in April, May (water temp.) & Nov.(Air temp.). Of course the instructors go dry.

I hope they provide drysuits, temps are around 14.1°C / 57.4°F avg Min: 13.2°C / 56.5°F min.

if you are the handy type, both the titan and scubapro mk10 are good regs to diy service. can save you quite a bit vs taking it to a lds. you can find tutorials and service manuals at vintage double hose.

use whichever bcd looks to be in better shape. using the air2 or not will be up to your preference, but if you choose to use the air2 instead of an octo, practice ascending with it in your mouth and switching to it. the titan lx is a better choice for your primary since it is balanced with the polar as your backup. for ireland diving cold water, if you have the spec boot on the mk10, consider getting it packed. you can use superlube if you don't want to spend extra for o2 clean christolube or tribolube.

tank is most likely fine, send it for hydro.

Thanks for the reply, I'm quite handy working as a maintenance tech and would be happy to service the regs, but for the first time, I will get them professionally serviced.
I think I will use the Titan reg's and aqualung bcd as it has the integrated weight system and looks brand new. Would there be any advantage in using the air2 on the aqualung bcd as a third option for air or is that overkill.
The tank is going for testing on Wednesday and should have it back within two days.

Not really, just combine the Titan and mk10 for a reg set.
I have the titan 1st stage and 2 no. 2nd stage regs, is the Scubapro mk 10 better than the titan.

the swivel is nice to have on the mk10. freeze resistance is better on the mk10 if you have the spec boot and pack the chamber vs the titan without the supreme sealing. some of the mk10s have a mushy lockup which isn't great though. more personal preference really as both should work ok, but go with either the mk10 with a spec boot or titan with the supreme sealing for extra freeze resistance.

Back
Top Bottom