Having another go, after 25 years, and on a budget.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, Course my course starts in a couple of day's, and I'm getting nervous that I will not remember all the skills I learned before.

I know I'm going to be rusty and hope it will all come back when I get in the water.

Speaking to the instructor he said he would include drysuit orientation, I should have asked what this meant? but I did not want to sound dumb, In your opinion what would this mean.

Gear wise I have gone for the Scubapro mk10 1st stage and aqualung 2nd stages, I have used the service kit for the second stages and fitted a long yellow hose for the safe second. I have them adjusted to just before freeflow and both breath easy.

The aqualung bcd inflator valve was stuck in the open position, I replaced the Schrader valve and now it works perfectly.

So I'm now on the lookout for either a 7.5mm semi-dry or a dry suit second hand, onwards and upwards!

Ok, an update and advice needed. I have done two pool dives now and god I am rusty!

First pool session had no problem setting up my gear and pool entry, but I hurt my back fixing a roof a few days before and struggled in the pool, had back spasms while trying to complete tasks, went over a few skills mask clearing ooa drills etc

The second session in the pool dry suit orientation and skills, the skills he proposed took the wayside, But this was because I was having trouble with neutral buoyancy, except when thinking about it, we did quite a few skills in retrospect weight removal and bcd removal on the surface, tuck and roll and vent air from air in legs.

I struggled with buoyancy control in the dry suit.

We did a buoyancy check but I felt a bit light at the start, the pool is only 2m deep. The dry suit drill was valve open going down and was told to close it up when we were down, add air for the squeeze ( at 2m I don't think so!) I was adding air to the drysuit at that depth and venting air from my BCD to try and control my buoyancy, My legs felt light at the start and at times I could feel air in my legs even before we had done that drill for this event.

The Instructor is a great guy and really passionate about diving and that rubs off. I feel that is was my fault that I had told him I have dived before and therefore he expects me to be better than I am.

25 yrs later and I am disappointed at my performance, even when I was ok with buoyancy I was struggling with my trim using a weight integrated Bcd.

I'm nearly fifty years old, I have jumped out of planes and done nearly 180 mph on a motorbike and more in a car, been in the army, stabbed shot and nearly blown up.

But I want to do this, but my confidence has been shocked by going under water. Is it me or the instructor!

What I would like is for a bit of time in the pool on my own to practice skills, on my own means whilst he is teaching others or free time.

Dude, you've been out of the water for 25 years. Give yourself a break. I had a very rocky start two years ago. Took me to about 100 dives before things were really coming together. Diving dry can take a few dives to get everything sorted for. My regular buddy, who has very good buoyancy, took a drysuit course earlier this year. Had about 100 dives at that point. Said he was all over the place.

Dude, you've been out of the water for 25 years. Give yourself a break. I had a very rocky start two years ago. Took me to about 100 dives before things were really coming together. Diving dry can take a few dives to get everything sorted for. My regular buddy, who has very good buoyancy, took a drysuit course earlier this year. Had about 100 dives at that point. Said he was all over the place.

Well, another update. All done dives went well diving dry and I think this is the way to continue. open water dives 1,2 and 3 in a quarry in temps down to 6.7c 44f and dive four in the sea off Dublin with vis down at times to .5m but enjoyable all the same. So all done and looking forward to AOW.

Planning to dive again this weekend and really enjoying getting back into the sport and the people I have met.

Credit should go to the instructor Daryl Triton diving if you are in Ireland and want to learn or dive here look him up.

An update. AOW done and another 13 dives on top of that. I nearly have all the dive gear I will need to purchase, and has been done without breaking the bank. Drysuit that I got was cheap, and for a reason, when I got it the neck seal was inside out and not a big deal to fit a new one myself, and should do me for a few years. I looked out on the web for good deals and have not rushed into buying everything new.

I enjoy diving and have done it on a budget, That keeps her who should be obeyed happy!

Drysuit that I got was cheap, and for a reason, when I got it the neck seal was inside out and not a big deal to fit a new one myself, and should do me for a few years.

are you sure the seal was inside out... and not the right way? Neoprene seals are supposed to be tucked in to make a proper seal. (Unlike latex seals... )

Hi
Good thread showing you don't need to fall in the trap of consumerism and marketing to enjoy diving :)

are you sure the seal was inside out... and not the right way? Neoprene seals are supposed to be tucked in to make a proper seal. (Unlike latex seals... )

Yes definitely the wrong way, the neoprene was on the outside, now it's on the inside so I can tuck the seal inwards, that's why I got such a good deal. And I think I made a pretty dam good job of putting the new seal on.

a very encouraging story....glad all work out for you...keep up the good work and enjoy the underwater world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom