Having the Hog Reg serviced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

email sent. and for those of you also wondering about this. If you buy an Edge or HOG reg and have it serviced by a non authorized dealer you are responsible for the cost. If any reg is under warranty have it serviced by an authorized dealer or EDGE/HOG. Don't pay for what you don't have to. Chris already addressed this clearly. My own policy is to not charge for warranty repairs.

I'm with Jim on this. Have a authorized service center service it. Your wasting money and possible aggravation of the tech not having the right information.

Makes sense yeah. So what exactly is the difference between inspecting, servicing, and overhauling a regulator?

As long as in agreement with the manufacturer the EDGE Epics really only have to be serviced once every 2 years, my cost servicing it with Jim would be cheaper than servicing it every year by my LDS, so it works by me:)

I would like to get our HOG's serviced. Purchased from DRIS. Who do you recommend? We don't have any issue with shipping.
Ummm...DRIS? :D

We sell them, we service them, we even teach people how to service them. The Shipping Department is used to stuff coming from/going to places all over the world so you won't confound us by boxing them up (carefully, pad them like the luggage gorillas were going to jump on your box) with your name and contact information (email, daytime phone, mailing address) on the INSIDE of the box and any information about what problems you're having/what you want done. Please ship prepaid, we do not accept COD shipments. We'll contact you for payment information (PayPal, CC, etc.) or if we have any issues/questions.

If you have any questions, take a look at our website or call Thor at the shop.

they have serviced HOG gear in the past without having HOG service kits and also were unaware of the proper torque specs on the 5th port.

The service they were charging a customer for would also have been covered under warranty.

I don't get it you will sell parts to end consumers who unaware of the proper torque specs on the 5th port and may have never service a regulator before and you have no problem with that?

Airtech can get the kits from another dive center and get a copy of the service procuders anddo the work with no problem.

tddflemingif you are have problems finding somebody to service the regulator where you live think out if you are traveling and need service.

I don't get it you will sell parts to end consumers who unaware of the proper torque specs on the 5th port and may have never service a regulator before and you have no problem with that?

Airtech can get the kits from another dive center and get a copy of the service procuders anddo the work with no problem.

You sure about all this? The first step to a successful argument is to challenge your assumptions. As someone who is considerably better informed than you on this topic, you're clearly arguing based upon a number of...misconceptions. It seems like you bought a dog and now you're looking for a fight to put him in, meanwhile the ground you are standing on is more marsh than dune. Which is not to say or imply anything negative about Airtech.

Another good rule of thumb might be that if you're too excited to use spell check, you're too excited. :Kissy:

So what exactly is the difference between inspecting, servicing, and overhauling a regulator?
@Mndiv: Here are my definitions for the terms:
  • Inspecting a reg = giving it a visual inspection and functional test without taking it apart. The reg tech checks that all of the hose connections are tight enough and that there isn't some obvious deformity/abnormality with the reg. He connects the reg to a pressurized gas source to check the intermediate pressure delivered by the first stage and test the breathing performance of the 2nd stages. He submerges the reg into water to check for leaks or free-flows. He tests the purge buttons on the 2nd stages. He fiddles with the levers and adjustment knobs. If the reg requires the tuning to be tweaked a little, then he'll adjust the tuning. This process may involve some minor disassembly to access the adjustment site, but it's not a very big deal. This sort of inspection should only take a few minutes to perform, provided that no issues are found. If one or more problems are identified, then the reg tech should inform the customer of whether a complete overhaul is recommended or if just one or two parts need to be replaced.
    FWIW, various manufacturers might stipulate different lists of checks and tests to be done during an official "reg inspection." Contact the manufacturer of your reg or speak to an authorized dealer to learn what specifically is being checked/tested.
  • Overhauling a reg = taking the reg apart completely, cleaning everything, replacing the "wearable" parts (o-rings, seats, etc.), reassembling it all, and then tuning it properly. The best practice is to use the official overhaul kit put together/sold by the reg manufacturer. Often times, the reg tech will put the old o-rings and seats into a little baggie so that you have proof that those suckers were replaced. A freshly overhauled reg should perform as well as it did when it was new.
  • Servicing a reg = doing whatever it takes to make sure that the reg is performing properly for the owner. In my mind, both "inspecting a reg" and "overhauling a reg" may be classified as "reg servicing."

Hope that helps...

You sure about all this? The first step to a successful argument is to challenge your assumptions. As someone who is considerably better informed than you on this topic, you're clearly arguing based upon a number of...misconceptions. It seems like you bought a dog and now you're looking for a fight to put him in, meanwhile the ground you are standing on is more marsh than dune. Which is not to say or imply anything negative about Airtech.

Another good rule of thumb might be that if you're too excited to use spell check, you're too excited. :Kissy:

What topic are you better informed on and what misconceptions?

And here I was, thinking how refreshing it is for a dealer to work with their customers and let their customers take responsibility for their own gear and servicing options. Thanks, Chris! :thumb:

tddflemingif you are have problems finding somebody to service the regulator where you live think out if you are traveling and need service.

Your information is incorrect. I do NOT sell parts to end consumers, I sell to my dealers. I recommend my dealers only sell to qualified techs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom