Hawaii anyone....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4kafka

Contributor
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone is, or was planning a dive trip to Hawaii after the downpours and flooding ?
The big island certainly had their issues this year with an erupting volcano and now,red clay run-off flowing into the Pacific. Can’t be good for the “vis”...(or the reef system).

I am going back in a few weeks. In my completely unprofessional opinion, I'm not too worried about the Big Island / Kona area. There aren't any rivers, as it is mostly just lava rock. You are mostly getting fresh water surface run-off. I think the mudslides are more likely to be on the North or East side. My guess is that Viz will be decent in a week or two. Also, the lavascape isn't as fragile as corals, so you may not see as much damage.

Melissa

I will be in Kona in 21 days, and Kauai the week after that. I'm not worried about the Kona area, it's supposed to be not affected, but I should call and check I guess. If the planes are a flyin', I'm a goin' !

I'm a little worried about the Kauai Hanalei area, as the river there has already flooded once this year. Some of the folks there have had a rough year :-( I'm not planning on diving there, but some of the tertiary roads may have problems.

I was on Kauai right after Iniki (I believe).

Diving was fine but we learned to call ahead to restaurants as many were out of things they'd normally have. Some we'd show up and they'd be closed/closing early - we'd rented a house so made it work. I remember at least one of the big resorts near Poipu was closed for business although you could still walk the grounds and eat there - just no overnight guests.

For the Big Island, the east side(Hilo side) took the hit, Kona is still good ol Kona!

For Kauai, we got way less rain than Hilo! We always deal with runoff after heavy rains, but this recent raining hasn't been that bad. Our main shore dive location(south side) took a hit due to the reservoir being dumped. Currents have already started to clean it up. Our boat sites seem to be untouched. Our sites are still thriving with life!

For the Big Island, the east side(Hilo side) took the hit, Kona is still good ol Kona!

For Kauai, we got way less rain than Hilo! We always deal with runoff after heavy rains, but this recent raining hasn't been that bad. Our main shore dive location(south side) took a hit due to the reservoir being dumped. Currents have already started to clean it up. Our boat sites seem to be untouched. Our sites are still thriving with life!

UPDATE: The rain continues! :( We aren't diving for at least the next few days because of Kauai's runoff. We are going to run a boat to the Na Pali Coast tomorrow to see how visibility is looking on that side. I'll be sure to post an update. Usually our boat sites will clean up fairly quickly after heavy rains. The shore dive usually takes a little bit more time.

Feel free to PM me or post on here if you have any questions about Hawaii diving, current visibility, etc.

-Nick

I was out paddling today and water off Kohala Coast was beautiful and clear. Run off not as big an issue on Kona side where most diving occurs and ocean seems to clean up quick. Volcano has calmed down and VOG not dirtying up the sky.

So I wouldn’t cancel any plans on those accounts.

It's fine here on Maui. Same as usual except for a small section of shoreline north of Lahaina.
Shaka: Lahaina dive shops seem to be abundant. I a looking to rent a 13 to 18 CF tank as apposed to carrying one from home. Do you know any shops that have those on hand? Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom