Hawaii/Kohala Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henryville

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ve greatly enjoyed the legendary vis and diverse life Kona diving offers on several trips in the past. When I was planning for my most recent trip, though, I found that my favorite diving service – DiveTek - had suspended operations, which is a real loss.

So I went in search of new options. I had used other Kona-based recreational services in the past, including some that I generally liked, including Jack’s Diving Locker. But the lack of technical diving, sometimes large boats, and particularly the long drives from the Kohala/Waikoloa resorts with attending tie-up of the rental car had me wanting alternatives.

A search of the forums led me to consider Kohala Divers, based in Kawaihae. The reviews were, I thought, mixed, but the smaller boat, the proximity, and the prospect of diving less-frequently visited sites (the Kona boats don’t really range that far North) led me to give them a try. I am very glad that I did.

First, the business has changed ownership in the last two years. I can’t say anything about how it was in the past, but I will note that the reviews I read were of that vintage or earlier. I found Rebekah, who co-owns Kohala with her husband Greg, Captain Stephen, and Dive Masters Kim, Kelleen, and Robyn to all be attentive and professional. I dove with them three times over the course of a week and had an excellent experience each time.

Before describing the diving, let me say a little about the topside advantages I saw in Kohala. First, distance/time – 12.5 miles from the Waikoloa resorts, vs. 24 to Honokohau Harbor and 27 to Kailua. Even better, after the first day I discovered that Kohala would pick me up at my hotel, a big, big plus for me. This relieved a potential stress as the rest of my party wasn’t stranded with no vehicle.

Second, the boat – a comfortable 42 footer rated for 24 but never with more than 12 on board. One day, the total load was me (NAUI Instructor,) Kohala’s DM (PADI Instructor), and two DM candidates. When we had more than 6 on board, we broke into groups of 6 or less. I never felt crowded, although the racks are designed for single strap BCs which meant I couldn’t fully set mine up (which the crew would have done for me) while we were underway.

Third, the professionalism of the crew. After my first dive with them, I was given what I felt was good latitude to see what the dive guide was finding or do more of my own dive. Buddy pairings were left to individual divers, and we did not all have to surface as a group, a way big plus in my book. I think that less-experienced divers got responsible attention from the dive leaders with respect to gas management and depth/time. Computer diving was encouraged.

Finally, the diving was great. The coral we dove over was in excellent shape, visibility was terrific. On my three trips, we took two North from Kawaihae (to Black Point, Frog Rock, Lava Dome, and Ulua Cavern) and one South to Puako 38 and Puako Point. Fish life was abundant, including white tips, jacks, lots of varieties of butterflies, flame and Potter’s angels, several varieties of eels, etc. A few nudibranchs though not an impressive number. Turtles, particularly at Puako 38. Octopus. Vis ranged between 60 to 100+.

All in all, I was very happy with my choice to try Kohala Divers. I will definitely use Kohala for my recreational diving, with the exception of a manta night dive which at this point remains a Kona event (I like Jack’s for this, especially if you can dive with Keller.) While my primary love is the deeper, technical stuff, this has become much harder to do on the big island, and unless/until a good operation emerges, Kohala Divers will be my first choice on Hawaii.

sorry, folks, but my wife and I dove with Kohala two weeks ago for 4 days and thought that they were an operation used to occasional divers, snorkelers and the cruise ship crowd. They made no effort to get to deeper/better sites than the few just north of their shop. We've been diving for years in Belize, Cayman and the Caribbean in general and found the fish life in Hawaii and Kohala in particular to be sparse and easily spooked. Compound that with letting newbies and even snorkelers into the water first while we waited through dive "briefings" that were anything but...fact is, the dive spots were chosen for the snorkelers. I'm also still mulling over the incident where I found two nicely polished tiger cowries- fist sized beauties- right next to each other in a lava tube barely concealed. And here comes the dive guide coming in the other way with her dive group in tow and heading right to where the cowries lay gleaming. My spider senses tell me that someone salted this dive site. Sorry if that sounds cynical, but I doubt we'll ever see them polished so nicely in the real ocean. Puako 38 was the best dive spot and it happened to be 100 yards from our house we rented. Every night, we watched locals with nets trying to earn a buck catching the fish that were left. That would explain why these fish are so freaked out....

[...general dislike of Hawaii diving excised] I'm also still mulling over the incident where I found two nicely polished tiger cowries- fist sized beauties- right next to each other in a lava tube barely concealed. And here comes the dive guide coming in the other way with her dive group in tow and heading right to where the cowries lay gleaming. My spider senses tell me that someone salted this dive site. Sorry if that sounds cynical, but I doubt we'll ever see them polished so nicely in the real ocean. [...]

Live cowries are clean and shiny, and often are paired. This was a true find; most of us locals consider this a fortunate event.

Tiger Cowrie

It is always amazing how the opinions diverge all over the place. I will be diving with Kohala next week and will be gald to give my impressions. I am typically pretty easy to please in island locations though. Thanks for the review!

All in all, I was very happy with my choice to try Kohala Divers. I will definitely use Kohala for my recreational diving.................... Kohala Divers will be my first choice on Hawaii.

Ditto to that. I dove with them in Feb 09 and also rented tanks and weights for my shore diving. Every time I went into the store I felt welcomed and valuable. Next trip I will be looking them up again.

On my boat trips with them I noticed something that I didn't see on any of my other trips with other operators. There were locals on board. That to me is a telling endorsement.

Live cowries are clean and shiny, and often are paired. This was a true find; most of us locals consider this a fortunate event.

Here are a couple I came across off the North Shore of Oahu a few years ago. As gkndivebum says, live cowries have a polished shell and here is why;

Howard... I'm sorry you had a real bummer of an experience here. It's totally different than the Caribbean of course... but I think we've got some pretty fishy diving that isn't trampled on by the Kona crowds... but to each his own.

Cowries are somewhat plentiful here on the Kohala coast.... and they get pretty big.

Here's one about the size of my fist that gkndivebum and I found recently (I don't own a strobe... sorry).

4465118168_50accdc29f.jpg

An additional note on the tiger cowries... quite often you'll spot them with mantles not out, look like they're straight off the sales counter. I was told they mate for life, following each other's slime trail, so they should not be picked up or moved... don't know if that's true or not, but it helps keep people from touching so it sounds correct enough for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom