Hawaii-land-based vs liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trying to get information from someone who has done both land-based diving and Kona Aggressor liveaboard diving. The Aggressor is about $3200, which I can afford, but it will take a big chunk out of savings. If you have done both, which would you recommend? This will be my first time diving in Hawaii. Thanks!

Assuming you are traveling solo, for a comparable number of dives (25) + accommodations + rental vehicle + food and drinks, I would go with the Aggressor. You will get a better variety of diving and won't have the hassle of researching, booking, driving around, finding restaurants, etc... Might be cheaper actually- for a single person and much less hassle.

You'd have to get a pretty sweet hook up on accommodations and want to dive much less to make a land based trip worth it, for me.

I was just there recently- But, I was with a larger group of friends. We shared a condo, shared the cost of a rental vehicle, got discounts on diving due to a group discount, ate a lot of meals in the condo because we shared responsibilities for cooking, cleaning, purchasing, etc... If I was solo-- I'd definitely go with the Aggressor!

We've done both. I'm a liveaboard fan so I would tend to pick the Aggressor as well. You will get a lot further south and see different things as far as lava tubes and more volcanic features, plus whatever the land based ops will usually do. But land based diving can be good too. For variety you can do the Manta dive, the blackwater night dive, or probably get on a 3 tank trip that gets somewhat further south. (Our 3 tank trip turned into a 2 tank because we got lucky and spent so much time whalewatching and snorkeling with humpbacks, a fair trade.) There is also some guided shore diving available. Land based obviously also gives you more chance to also do stuff on land, if you don't have time to add on before or after the liveaboard, and there is certainly lots to see there. (Keeping in mind elevation changes after diving in any touring plans, which can be an issue there.)

As said, Hawaii is not an inexpensive place. But while there are tons of fancy expensive resorts and restaurants, and diving will not be cheap either, there seem to be more reasonable places around too. So if you're trying to keep costs in check, you'd want to figure out where you might stay, who you would dive with and how much, etc and see how the bottom lines actually compare. Even though liveaboards look expensive you do usually get good value for your money, and will get in a lot more dives.

Assuming you are traveling solo, for a comparable number of dives (25) + accommodations + rental vehicle + food and drinks, I would go with the Aggressor. You will get a better variety of diving and won't have the hassle of researching, booking, driving around, finding restaurants, etc... Might be cheaper actually- for a single person and much less hassle.

You'd have to get a pretty sweet hook up on accommodations and want to dive much less to make a land based trip worth it, for me.

I was just there recently- But, I was with a larger group of friends. We shared a condo, shared the cost of a rental vehicle, got discounts on diving due to a group discount, ate a lot of meals in the condo because we shared responsibilities for cooking, cleaning, purchasing, etc... If I was solo-- I'd definitely go with the Aggressor![/QUOTE

I was just there recently- But, I was with a larger group of friends. We shared a condo, shared the cost of a rental vehicle, got discounts on diving due to a group discount, ate a lot of meals in the condo because we shared responsibilities for cooking, cleaning, purchasing, etc... If I was solo-- I'd definitely go with the Aggressor!
Thanks for your response!

I have not dove in Hawaii, but I have done both shore based and LOBs in Nassau and in TCI (Provo), so take my comments as being general in nature and not specific to Hawaii.

I agree with the comments above. IMHO the advantage of a LOB is that while it front loads the bulk of your costs, by the end of the trip, you will typically end up getting a good value for your costs. They will get you out to dive sites that day boats will struggle to reach or simply not be able to reach. They will often be very familiar with the sites which they frequent, so there is little to no time spent in researching where to go.

I am not sure if you are traveling alone or not, but one thing to keep in mind is that while most LOBs have a "Single Supplement" if you are traveling alone, this will often be waived if you are willing to accept a room mate. (Let them know when you book the trip.)

For me, I personally prefer LOBs and would likely opt for the Kona Aggressor unless there was a huge reason not to.

I have not been on the Kona aggressor as a passenger, but I travel to the Island at least two times a year to dive and have been moored next to it more than a dozen times. I love LOBs but one of the reasons I've chosen to stay land based on the Big Island is because 1) I am happy with 2-3 dives a day now and 2) The topside of the Island is just such a wonderful place to spend time.

If you want to get in more than 2-3 dives a day the Aggressor is a no-brainer. If you are happy with 2-3 you might consider doing a land-based trip. I have dive buddies who spend less than $1,800 on a week long dive trip to Kona, but I usually spend about $2,500 over a week traveling solo (I like nice things) but it is still much cheaper than the LOB, especially once you consider tipping. Obviously, the Aggressor is still a better value on a per-dive basis.

My typical costs:
Car Rental: $200
1 BR condo: $800/week,
Charters for 13-14 dives over five days: $925 (includes tax)
Gratuities: $140
Nitrox: $140
Food & incidentals: $350

One thing to note: If diving as many diverse sites is your priority....that is another good reason to do the LOB. There are a few sites you can only get too on the Aggressor.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will have an AMAZING time.

Melissa

Ill be on the Kona Aggressor in Dec. Ill be sure to post a review. Land based, that I dont know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom