Hawaii woman hitches ride on Great White shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love Sharks...one of my crew was accidently seriously bitten by a shark last year in Tonga www.bluetreasure.me BLOG for details..but hey...I take 100 passengers 3 times every year to Antarctica and have been going there for the past 20 years...but I NEVER go closer than 5 mtrs to any animal, even to killer penguins..not because I fear for my life...simply because I respect them greatly and feel good that I am treading lightly in their world! I can see that friendly shark images may appeal to some trying to make sharks look friendly...but I am with the camp that says we should all respect each other and each living thing.

Don't recall mentioning rays . I wouldn't harass those either.

Checked, ... my bad!! Sorry about that, fixed it.

But in any case, in re to that question, why would you feel the need to generalize?

---------- Post added March 9th, 2013 at 09:16 AM ----------

"Understanding Sharks" by Erich Ritter ... Excellent book, provides a detailed, in-depth look at all aspects of the broad and very complex spectrum of Shark behavior.

Btw, I came across the image via a friend who came across it in a mainstream newspaper.

So I do think its audaciousness captured the public imagination (shallow perhaps as that is) and can only do good to the rep of GWs.

It's thru the small buds of awareness and education that sharks might just have a chance of survival. Unlikely but better to light a candle than curse the dark, eh?

Same as always, we get to feeling that we can be as one with the animals until it turns on us. Roy Horn with tigers...killed, Steve Irwin with assorted animals...killed by Ray, Richard White with bears...killed by bear, Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenard killed by bear, Dianna Hanson killed by lion and the list goes on and on. A lot of these deaths result in the animal being killed. So is it really worth it to hitch a ride on a Great White, saying that you are trying to show the world that they are not the beast we believe them to be, rather than just filming at a distance how great this animal really is. Why do you think that there are laws protecting some of these animals? You don't need to quote Steve, "muck," with these animals to enjoy them and protect them. I guess he "mucked" with one animal too many. Chris Rock Tiger Gone Crazy - YouTube

However sad or tragic, the loss of a few human lives is inconsequential in comparison to our wholesale slaughter of sharks and other species.

So I commend those that draw attention to shark's plight. If occasionally it goes south so goes it. Making some attempt to saving endangered species is surely worth this price.

John

However sad or tragic, the loss of a few human lives is inconsequential in comparison to our wholesale slaughter of sharks and other species.

So I commend those that draw attention to shark's plight. If occasionally it goes south so goes it. Making some attempt to saving endangered species is surely worth this price.

John

One question, as for right now. What if anything did you see in the video that suggested or raised concern for shark conservation? All I saw was a very good looking lady riding a Great White shark and promoting a GoPro camera. Riding, touching, herding, feeding, etc. has nothing to do with conservation! Nothing! She got paid and it was just for money and nothing to do with conservation.

What I saw was something that I would consider questionable in intent but perhaps effective in delivery to reach the masses. I neither applaud nor denigrate her personally but I am happy if it has done some good for shark PR.

People getting paid for conservation? Really? Sometimes the ends do justify the means. The plight of many species of shark have made me rethink many things I would have otherwise considered unpalatable.

One question, as for right now. What if anything did you see in the video that suggested or raised concern for shark conservation?

It got YOU talking, didn't it ?? In simplicity, it starts/promotes the "Conservation Conversation" (there's a tongue twister) If Joe Blow on the street, who is none the wiser see's this video, or one similar, he may say to himself, "Wow, I guess they're not the man eater that they are made out to be, and perhaps this fish has some intelligence, and it's existence is warranted. So then why are we killing these things on such a grand scale ?" It spawns the thought process, and perhaps Joe Blow / John & Sally Q. Public, may then see the beauty and the necessity of these beautiful animals.
At the end of the day, there is a million ways to "slice & dice this up". Whether you like the video or not, or agree with the touching of the shark or not, etc., all this video can do, is help.

All I've got to say is: Timothy Treadwell "Grizzly Man"

Exactly what I thought.

.... and holy bejezus that's a big shark. I grew up in the middle of nowhere in the Rocky Mountains and I'm no stranger to interacting with wild animals, or even handling marine life, but there's not one fiber in my being that thinks what she's doing is a good idea.

In fact, I think there must be a hole in her head that caused her to forget that she's edible.

R..

Last edited:
the entire video was about: "Ocean photographer Juan Oliphant made the video and released it as a promotion for the HD camera company called GoPro."

I really don't think that someone off the street will view this as, Wow, I guess they're not the man eater that they are made out to be, and perhaps this fish has some intelligence, and it's existence is warranted. I think that is more viewed as, "Wow these sharks have been given a bad rep. and they are not the beast that people have made them out to be so I can just go and touch them." Wrong!!
Check this one out...so nice you need a speargun Michael Rutzen. Sharkman hitches ride on great white shark. - YouTube , or this one Shark Week - Riding a Great White - YouTube . I don't believe for one minute that she was without cage and others with spearguns or bagsticks.

Back
Top Bottom