Hawaiian Backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Hawaiian sling" originally referred to a simple type of spear gun - basically a small tube with a set of rubber bands on one end and an untethered shaft. You pull the shaft back through the middle of the tube, hold it there with your hand, and let it go when you're ready. Hopefully you get a good shot and the fish doesn't run off with your spear.

The term has since been appropriated for various other things, including pole spears and backpacks.

If you want a quick & easy backpack, you can just pull the plastic backpack out of an old jacket BC and put straps on it (most have the slots already). Still will have shoulder straps to deal with but it's a start.

My Hawaiian backpack was commercially produced and sold in local dive shops. I cannot remember the manufacturer, but it was local based, in Honolulu I believe. Sea Horse? Not sure. I seem to remember a sticker on with the picture of a sea horse....

In the water it was not as secure as a current bp/w with Hogarthian harness, but was "secure enough". I don't remember it moving around any more than a current poodle jacket does, errr jacket BC I mean

Probably Clark Sales, manufacturer of the ubiquitous Sea Horse 3-prongs. They still make an ever-changing assortment of random diving & fishing stuff (most of it very practical).

I find my hawaiian pack to be very secure - more so than my real "hogarth" doubles setup. To make a modern backplate (or a plastic backpack) fit as snug, I need to tighten the straps to the point where it's uncomfortable. Over several days of diving this results in some pretty sore arms & shoulders. For it to work properly, you really need to make it customized for your body shape - if the hooks are the wrong size or the belt is in the wrong place it'll slip around.

Padding on the hooks isn't really needed unless you're diving with no wetsuit.

Here's a couple pics of mine in use (not catching fish - just throwing sand so the kahala would come in for the picture).

Attachments

• h_pack1.jpg
    h_pack1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 423
  • h_pack2.jpg
    h_pack2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 395
"Hawaiian sling" originally referred to a simple type of spear gun - basically a small tube with a set of rubber bands on one end and an untethered shaft. You pull the shaft back through the middle of the tube, hold it there with your hand, and let it go when you're ready. Hopefully you get a good shot and the fish doesn't run off with your spear.

The term has since been appropriated for various other things, including pole spears and backpacks.

If you want a quick & easy backpack, you can just pull the plastic backpack out of an old jacket BC and put straps on it (most have the slots already). Still will have shoulder straps to deal with but it's a start.

Probably Clark Sales, manufacturer of the ubiquitous Sea Horse 3-prongs. They still make an ever-changing assortment of random diving & fishing stuff (most of it very practical).

I find my hawaiian pack to be very secure - more so than my real "hogarth" doubles setup. To make a modern backplate (or a plastic backpack) fit as snug, I need to tighten the straps to the point where it's uncomfortable. Over several days of diving this results in some pretty sore arms & shoulders. For it to work properly, you really need to make it customized for your body shape - if the hooks are the wrong size or the belt is in the wrong place it'll slip around.

Padding on the hooks isn't really needed unless you're diving with no wetsuit.

Here's a couple pics of mine in use (not catching fish - just throwing sand so the kahala would come in for the picture).

Thanks for posting those pics! The one you are wearing looks similar (same?) to the one I had.

I bet it was Clark that made it (or marketed it).... I'm pretty sure it was exactly the same logo as on the 3-prong pole spears.

You are absolutley right about proper fit. I think the arms on mine and waist strap were never quite "right" (I'm 6' 5", so getting a good fit in anything related to scuba is a challenge :D ). As a result it was not as secure for me as my current BP/W, but more secure than any jacket BC I've used.

While I haven't seen a Hawaiian backpack here in Hilo in awhile, I'm sure there are still guys using them here too.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the photo. I will have one built..................They are super especially with a dry suit. I am a commercial and need to use a tank for data collection. The young ins stare in disbelief.....

94-524 Puahi St Unit B
Waipahu, HI 96797
(808) 677-9135

this might be the place your looking for

Aloha all...
If anyone is interested in purchasing a custom made "Hawaiian style back pack"....
you may contact me @ hawaii.steve@live.com...or 808 939~7380...
recommended for advanced divers...:)

dive responsible and alert....enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom