Hawwaiin Mystery Fish ID - Help Please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like a juvenile knobsnout parrotfish. Perhaps that is the same as a redband? They inhibit rocky areas of coastal waters and can be found in small groups in Western North Pacific (Japan).

Aloha raviepoo.
I looked through my Hoover Hawaii Fish Book and the closest I came to your fish was a Saddle Wrasse in the juvenile stage. I have a marine biologist friend here that I send my dive photos to for identification if I can't find them in the Hoover book. I took the liberty of sending her your pic to ID. I'll get back to you on it.
:shades:

The color isn't quite right for a juvenile saddle wrasse. Everything about this fish screams "baby parrot". I'm just frustrated because I don't know what kind. The baby bullethead parrottfish looks similar to it, but just different enough to rule it out.

Grrr! Aaargh!

the body shape looks like a wrasse to me.

My local marine biologist adviser tells me your mystery fish photo is that of a juvenile Palenose Parrotfish.
:shades:

It's definitely a juvenile parrottfish and I'm agreeing with Gilligan's Biologist friend about the specific species.

Juveniles parrottfish have wrasse-like body shapes. They change as they grow older to become the distinctive looking fish that are so easy to identify.

Back
Top Bottom